I Forge Iron

Leg vise shortening?

Stubbysteve

I know for the most part, people usually don't want to shorten a post vise. But me I am disabled and in a wheelchair all the time. I don't have any legs. I have 4 post leg vises. I figured on taking the one in the worst shape to shorten. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this without losing the integrity of the vise?

Cutting the leg to lower the vise should not affect the integrity in the least. I've seen vises that had the legs cut down by using a torch, metal cutting band saw, and one that was cut using the hot cut on the anvil usually with a helper. Most older vises the legs are wrought iron and a hand hack saw will cut them, although that is kinda time consuming and tiring.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Shorten your vise but keep what you cut off anyone wanting to restore the height can weld it back on. Leg vises were made to be used and are easily modified. If its wrought iron the silica inclusions that give it it's wood-like grain will dull saw blades quickly, you might want to use a carbide tipped bi-metal saw blade or use a cutting disk. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

I sometimes do work with accessibility (usually digital technology, but I can hum the tune for other aspects). I also, after much looking in an antique-poor area, found a leg vise. So here's my 2 cents:

Cut it and mount it so it works. Whatever it takes. The long-dead makers, the blacksmiths before you- they would understand. That vise needs a smith as much as the smith needs a vise. I rip apart brand-new devices to make them accessible, and I'd rip apart antiques if that's what it takes.