I Forge Iron

Soderfors anvil.

Jim86

Finally found a good swedish anvil that i couldn't not take home so here is a few pics, 1923 Soderfors 112LB, nice flat face, rings loud( better now its mounted to the 85kg hardwood stump), if anyone knows what the 11 under the main left face is, or the 7 66 1-50 on the rear is that'd be great.

Thanks. Jim.

IMG_20230902_050500.thumb.jpg.d14153829544c52539a2658c0927bdb8.jpgIMG_20230902_050551.thumb.jpg.f657bce2a5319f0344d13afd55545e1b.jpgIMG_20230902_050636.thumb.jpg.04d3daf27b60ed4b647c567768c3ed23.jpgIMG_20230902_051051.thumb.jpg.269a7f138057373acdd5f53e829ea58b.jpgIMG_20230902_050916.thumb.jpg.b8baea5f6eab2e1e48b69bc0245d9bcb.jpgIMG_20230902_050721.thumb.jpg.2655f99fb15824c00948d6a75757e4c1.jpg

Thats a beauty. I really like the look of the hold downs too. 

First thought was it looks like vines holding it. Then it got me thinking of like octopus tentacles.  4 more and they could hold hammers or something. 

Sorry my imagination gets going some times. Must be a full moon lol. 

I have a 125lb. 1926 Soderfors Sorcoress #5, best anvil I've ever used. Pretty cool hold downs but bear in mind function outweighs looks if you want a tool. I also put mine of a steel tripod to damp the dangerously LOUD ring. 

The date is usually within a couple years, it was a model run or perhaps the date the model was added to the line. Dannemora is one of the cities with a Soderfors foundry. 

Who know what the numbers on the foot mean, they were probably stamped by a buyer to ID their anvil. Or something like that.

Sweet anvil, prepare yourself to be spoiled to use lesser.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey Frosty, thanks for the info, i have seen a few posts how you like your sorcoress 5 anvil, ( which was some of the research i did to end up with said anvil), by the way have you ever seen one with 'Empress' on it?

I'll let you know how the hold downs go after a few hours, they may bend( if they do i should of used coil spring)! Its quietened the ring right down but i usually wear ear protection anyway.

But i do have a 70kg anvil for bigger work.

Jim.

Heck, I've never seen another Sorcoress let alone her big sister. It shouldn't bounce as tightly as you have it clamped down, mine wasn't pegged, spoked, clamped she just sat in a fitted miter almost as deep as her base. 

I have a 206lb. Trenton that's a fine anvil but I use the Sorcoress for heavy work anyway. A jealous anvil is to be avoided you know.

Smart move, PPE makes the rest of our lives so much more fun to live through.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmm that's interesting, the one I saw was only 110LB..had Empress Solid Steel on the right hand side..didnt see the left side.

That's a good idea, if it was very slightly tapered it would wedge in there a bit too I guess.

A jealous anvil haha I will remember that.

My previous post should've said SPIKED not spoked.

No it just dropped into the miter it never bounced, wobbled and it wasn't "tight" let alone a tapered miter. The hammer and tong racks wedge the Soderfors and Trenton into their steel tripod stands but it's probably not necessary except as a way to hold the racks on without welding.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Thats in great condition, barely a mark on it!

Steam hammer anvil, interesting, would of been a good find. Big work surface for sure.

Here is my 70kg anvil (154lb) not very old this one( 2019) bit soft too but i like it.IMG_20231101_143220.thumb.jpg.913af72979cfcca103259f16308c1f13.jpg

Nice anvils, Jim. You can further deaden the ring on the Soderfors simply by adding a layer of silicone caulk or even a piece of innertube rubber between the anvil and the stump. I've got the caulk under the Undisputed King of Anvils and the rubber under the Emergency Backup Anvil, and both work a treat.

That is a nice big chunk of steel for sure. Nice knives, I can see they would work great for skinning ( haven't don't that for a while, vegan 6 years now) good polish on them too! I will have to finally finish my leaf spring tanto style I have been working on.