I Forge Iron

Cracks

The Jeff

It could be cracks or it could be other things as well.  If the surface of the steel was brought to an even finish then it probably was cracks.  If there were some deeper scratches from grinding or something else it could appear as cracks.

This may be a good opportunity to learn a little.  You can grind/sand (preferably perpendicular to the lines) where you see what looks like cracks until the darker lines you see disappear and then etch again. If they were just grinding lines or surface cracks then they probably will not show up again in the same location and orientation.  If they are truly cracks then they will probably show up again where you saw them originally.

I had actually done that, I saw them sanded as you said and etched and showed up a little darker then the surronding steel.

After another round of sanding and etching the marks are gone so i suppose deep grind marks or surface cracks?

18 hours ago, The Jeff said:

After another round of sanding and etching the marks are gone so i suppose deep grind marks or surface cracks?

That would be my working assumption unless there was other evidence to change my mind.