I Forge Iron

Chair

Thanks Aric.  I've made chairs, tables and a bench.  They turn out incredibly heavey so I am thinking of trying tubing and tig weld them. 

This summer they are blocking off a street here for craft fairs so if I can get a couple made I will try selling them.  I need to finish a roller I am working on first in order to make them.  Excuses, excuses.... :)

Heavy is a feature of quality lol. 

The craft fair seems like an awesome opportunity.  Better get to work. People love one of a kind work like you do. Don't under charge.  You can always keep it or give it to friends. Depends on the market down your way. 

I never make anything I wouldn't mind being stuck with. And if I did, I wouldn't mind gifting it to friends or family if they might like it. 

I do have some failed attempts hanging around the shop. I just never showed them to anyone. They might want them too lol. 

All great points, I will keep in mind.  I have a journal for everything else, I might start one for keeping track of what I have invested in a project.  I never know.

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Better get to work

Ahhh.... There's the rub.....:)

You can do it Scott, just put up a cover, get some tools together and start. You've been fretting about not being able to decompress making things. You'll feel better even if it's just lash together stuff while you get a new workspace built. 

Thinking about old shops only makes a person feel bad.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was joking more about my get up and go.  It got up and went.  Actually, I took your advise from a conversation we had a while ago and have a functioning lashed together mini shop.  It looks kind of like a hobo shack camp you would find alongside the tracks but is serving nicely for the time being.  My neighbors like what I do, which was a big concern.  I made them a few small gifts.  I failed to update you, too busy talking about tater tots, I guess....  :).  Yes, looking back can be detrimental at times.

Well okay then, guess I'll call off the little whip crackers I sent your way.

Getting in good with the new neighbors is a big plus. Do they come over to watch, talk, bring pie or beer, etc.? Little gifts is always good PR, maybe put in a little Totcho oven in the shop so you can entertain visitors. Not to mention yummy hot snacks for yourself.;)

When Deb and I got together she brought her herd of pygmy goats but we had to board them until we got pastures cleared and a barn put up. Word got out and a coffee shop buddy put me in touch with his brother who had a 2 car garage in a stupid spot and being in Anchorage couldn't move it so we got it for taking it down and hauling it off. It would've made a nice shop with a good floor but it made a fine barn and some wonderful memories.

That stuff is out there and getting to know folks will get the word out. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Each one has come over at some time or another while I am working and showed some interest.  I had one give me some metal and a few tools.  No pies... :(.  I made a point of taking them something I made.  I may have to put on an addition for a Totcho stove, there ain't room.  Maybey the smell would draw them out.  I'm either going to get a 40' cargo box or hire somebody to get a shop built.  Too many things are tugging at me right now though.  This will do nicely.

If you  model the totcho oven after a pizza oven you can have either and or bake sandwich loaves like Subway. Hmmm? A few fire bricks some mortar and voila!

I worked out of a connex for a while, better than nothing about covers the cramped thing. Makes good storage since the real shop appeared though. The electric company may have old poles to get rid of. A few poles and a power auger for stand them up holes and it's just driving spikes and lag screws. Post and beam is easy enough, our barn isn't what it was in that fellow's back yard. I made it 4' higher and a good 16' wider. I filled the holes in the tin cladding with clear fiberglass panels. Light comes in through the roof and walls all round. It's not art but it worked well enough once you  knew where NOT to put things you didn't want dripped on in the rain. 

Frosty The Lucky.

When we were house hunting when we moved here, I found that the a lot of them had outdoor brick ovens/cookers.  I think it's the barbeque culture.  I think it's overblown.  Some of them looked like they could smelt a few tons of ore.

I kind of figured a container would be a ear ringing, cramped headache but I was keeping in mind other uses for it, down the road.

If you can't BBQ a cow or butterflied pig it ain't a BBQ!:rolleyes:

Cargo containers typically have wood floors and if you don't do something silly they're not that loud. I moved the anvil and forge outside under the tarp shade. I mounted the leg vise just inside the door s it was solid enough. Beating on things in the vise wasn't as loud as I expected.

It was too small to be permanent, long and narrow is more a bench work and storage space.

Frosty The Lucky.