I Forge Iron

Epee

Jacob s

This board is just chock full of helpful people, isn't it?

Drenched- for a fencing foil, you'd probably be better off buying a rod of the appropriate material, which, I'm assuming, would be somewhere in the 1095 or spring steel range.

I'd say start with something around 3/8" round, and shape it gently to a "point" of no less than 3/16". I believe a commercial foil is thinner, but I suspect you'll have difficulty keeping something that thin properly heated.

Heat treating will be tricky, hopefully someone with far more expertise than I have, will chime in with some information.

Doc.

the interesting part is going to be that an epee is actually a 3 sided blade :) not a 2 sided blade like a traditional sword...i would think it would be incredibly difficult to forge...especially given how thin and long it is...

the epee is actually a modern derivative of the rapier. the 3 sided blade (similar to the 4 sided blade of the foil) was made in response to dueling in the 19th century changing from a "fight to the death" to a "first blood" style of encounter, whereby the first combatant to draw the blood of the other (typically by nicking or imparting a small cut) would be declared the victor...hence the epee traditionally has no point (with the exception of the 3 barbed point which was designed for modern fencing to make it easier to tell when a point had been scored...before the introduction of electricity anyway)...

Edited by inazuma_x

I would caution against fencing with any epee or foil you make yourself. Even professionally made foils can snap in the middle of a bout leaving a very sharp point. I know someone who was penetrated this way in a fencing bout. There were no serious consequences but it does give one pause.

If I had to heat treat something like this, I would consider heating it by running a heavy current through it using my arc welder.

an epee is a three sided blade. The only way I can think of forging one would to be to shape the blade to the shape you want and then use a special spring fuller to put the 3rd side on it. However using a forged epee would be a bad idea unless you can heat treat and temper spring steel perfectly. Even then i would not use it. I use an epee on a fairly regular basis I bought from triplette. If anyone would try using a hand forged epee against me I would have to decline to fight them. I trust Triplette blades over all others but even then they can break and cause serious harm. I had a friend of mine seriously hurt from a broken blade and all fencing stoped for the day. Here is Triplette's website if you would like to buy one Zen Warrior Armory - Zen Warrior Armory - Triplette Arms this is their site for SCA combat.
:) hope this helps alittle

A foil is a tapered rectangle , whereas a epee is a more like a flat blade thats forged into a V shape, I have lots and lots of broken foils and epee's and that a friend gives me from his fencing studio and let me tell you they are hard stuff, I cant imagine making one that could stand up half as well as a factory made blade. I use the fat end of the blade for cold chisels and punches, and the triplettes are my favoite too :)

Before you go making something like an epee, foil, etc. find out what steel to use. They're made from a special alloy that doesn't break easily and breaks in a safe manner when it does.

Even with modern alloys these things break regularly and I'd be surprised if a home made one, home heat treated would take very well just to being swung around. A triangular cross section has some serious stresses on it under the best of conditions. (steel, manufacture and heat treatment) The chances you'll be able to hand forge and heat treat one from spring (not a safe steel) or found stock and have something safe to use are slimmer than none.

Have fun, play safe.

Frosty

Note too that a "rapier" doesn't have a single shape there are scores of different types that qualify as a rapier form some that will still make a good cut to others that are only point.

Some would resemble an epee others would be quite different.

I would certainly NEVER let anyone with a 1095 fencing blade on the strip! Way to brittle for modern fencing.

Just buy an epee blade. You can make the hilt an the pomel and everything in the handle region. No one will fence you with a blade you made because it is really quite dangerous and in most fencing places they will not let you use a sword you made. Making the handle and etc will be really fun tough so i suggest you do that.

You will not be allowed to fence with a homemade weapon. The last time I checked official USFA documents (my son fences Sabre, E2008), blades are made from a maraging steel. There are flexibility and weight tests. With foil and epee, the point reaction to a touch is tested before each bout.

Buy an epee from any dealer listed at the United States Fencing Association website.

Let me ask why you are asking?

Do you want to make an epee for the challenge of making one or do you want to make a fencing sword? If you want to use it for fencing then you are better off buying one from a dealer.

As was mention modern fencing swords are made from maraging steel. I think on another forum someone posted about making a fencing sword but before he would have been allowed to use one of his swords he would have to submit one (or more ) for destructive testing to prove he could make a sword that meets modern requirements.

I've looked at some of the Oakshott collection. The period epees, as best as I can describe, is rather like a really flat V with sharp edges and points. They descended from rapiers. What you describe is more akin to a foil (sharp point no edge).

ron