I Forge Iron

JHCC's consolidated Hossfeld Universal Bender #2 thread

JHCC

Too bad I live in a black house, the charred stick idea sounds like a lot of fun.  ;).   I just took a picture of it on my puter screen instead.  Actually you can barely see it in the top photo.  I was still working on it.  I guess what made me happy was, it included the old ring roller which went in the scrap hopper when we moved.  I built a beefier one that went in also as they were both worn beyond salvation.  And too heavey....  Thought I had no photo of those.   I don't know why I did a collage of pictures like that, I might have been sending it to someone.  The photo looks sort of ok on my small phone screen but if it's all pixelated blur on a regular size monitor IDK what to say, theres always a fly in the ointment, eh?  The photo is from 2008.  Time sure flies.

c1_20231111_22220052.thumb.jpeg.6615676891a52a6767a93fbc42e251d3.jpeg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember seeing pics of your ring roller but don't recall how the bender worked. I made a bender a long time ago to make basket hilts and helmet grills for SCA fighters. It was really simple basic and not very flexible but all I needed it for was 1/4" round. IIRC it only had 3 dies and was a challenge keeping the bends flat. Hilts and face guards is why I bought my first GMA welder from "Bob's Closeouts." 

It was nowhere nice as what you built.

Frosty The Lucky.

I once posted a picture of a similar one on the "what did you do in the shop today" thread I plucked off the internet to describe the concept but I thought I had no photo of mine.  I think the other one just had one movable roll to provide bend adjustment.  I really don't live in a black house.  It's brick.  I will stop derailing this hossfeld bender thread now.

I think you have that backwards Randy. if you were living IN a black hole stuff would be appearing all the time and you wouldn't be able to get rid of it no matter how hard you tried to throw it away. 

Myself, I bask in the arms of the Chaos theory. It's almost as good an excuse as head dents. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:57 PM, Frosty said:

you have that backwards

You have that backwards, of course.  New to him stuff would be getting sucked towards him but all his stuff would be behind him, getting sucked deeper into the hole, never to be seen again.  You are probably right about throwing things out of one though, you should probably duck.

Don't have to, it's not even special relativity. I didn't even mention the fact that upon reaching the event horizon matter is orbiting at the speed of light and on a plane probably the thickness of a light particle. Soooo, if a person COULD stay there you could watch the bit of energy that was the matter falling on him/er coming forever. Relativity theory says time would be infinitely dilated and collision couldn't occur. OR you'd both be so elongated your energy would just merge. (which I like better)

This has been debated since Einstein first postulated the theory. Modern physics and observation tech has shown energies and matter escaping black holes so who knows? Dimensional portals and alien space craft?

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I was just ratteling your chain.  I'm no astrophysisist so I will have to defer to you and Einstien.  I could look a lot of blather about such things on the internet and postulate them but somebody would on here would call out my bs.  Hard to to have fun anymore.  Have you experienced being in a black hole recently?  It would be nice to have a first hand account to confirm all this.

My brother had a theory that the earth is just an aquarium and anything that happens is due to the entity that takes care of it. Just like when a fish tank gets cleaned and stuff is moved around and added or removed the fish living in it have no idea of what happened or why.

That'd be the "Higgs Boson," Scott, it's also called the "God Particle". 

Go ahead and ask me to explain quantum science, I can make up anything I want and it'd be as valid as most any explanation. Better yet I won't include any math. 

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a name for everything, thanks.  My cousins all moved and dissapeared, including the star gazer.  They were into smithing and metal work also, so maybe they will see this.  D, D & D, are you out there?

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

Better yet I won't include any math. 

Phew....  Math just get's in the way of things. 

Maybe I will start a quantum mechanics topic in "Everything Else" so as not to bog down this thread.....:rolleyes:.  It might be fun if we can just make things up.

• 3 weeks later...

In preparation for another railing project -- this one involving a lot of sinuous bends in 3/4" Schedule 40 pipe (1" OD) -- I've been making a V-grooved radius tool for hot-bending round stock. Here it is set up for its first test bend:

IMG_7861.jpeg

This still needs some cleanup, but works well. The pivoting block on the left turned out to be much too narrow, with an unfortunate tendency to flop over sideways. I will make a pair of new ones before moving forward.

Here is the pipe being heated and bent:

IMG_7859.jpeg

IMG_7860.jpeg

The pipe had a tendency to collapse slightly, but not too badly. I think I have an idea about how to work around that: if I only heat an inch or so at a time, the unheated pipe on either side of the heated section should provide enough support to minimize the collapse. On the other hand, I might decide that I like the slightly oval cross section, so I'll have to play around with some more test pieces to see what looks good.

NB: It's not as easy to tweak hot bends in the #2 as it is cold, so I plan to make any necessary adjustments to the finished pieces with this beauty:

IMG_7855.jpeg.977c09f5ac281163254556fed454da22.jpeg

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

So, a few developments. The first is that I forged a Gauge Extension (part 25B1) to go with the Sliding Gauge (part 25B) I made a couple of months ago.  

IMG_7989.thumb.jpeg.36b6991e3ea938ae8b6a69a1e982ab4a.jpeg

IMG_7417.thumb.jpeg.6ed2ac60ed8cec07b8700df7db9f0e0b.jpeg

IMG_7991.thumb.jpeg.5d5e6f883fee2b1b81cbe82e377bb059.jpeg

The second is that I’ve been working on the project mentioned above, making sinuous bends in 3/4” Schedule 40 pipe. This has been going well, and the wider V-blocks are a big improvement. However, I have been encountering two small problems: some difficulty in keeping the pipe supported, and having to reach somewhat awkwardly for the handle extension. For the latter, I plan to cut, bend, and re-weld it to match the bend in the standard Hand Lever (part 28B5); for the former, an idea is starting to percolate. 

IMG_7980.thumb.jpeg.c45be3503b89b9dd5b42db74b9b997de.jpeg

IMG_7981.thumb.jpeg.75a767149ea5b1a44f8508eedd079b67.jpeg

IMG_7983.thumb.jpeg.ebabfaf0364d587da1f00f01b0d9c52a.jpeg

IMG_7993.thumb.jpeg.cff4812b0830a64a3dc6580f3d8a92bd.jpeg

Lola approves. 

IMG_7987.thumb.jpeg.da726810dafda0bbb0f2a19587b080ec.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Another Hossfeld video, from a YouTuber who goes by "Mr. Tompkins". This is a narration-free demo of setting up and using the bulldozer die:

The same YouTuber has another Hossfeld video, a super-basic demo of using the eye-bending tool to make a simple bend on thin stock. However, other than an interesting shot of his tool storage, it doesn't have anything not covered better in joe dal pra's video.

As previously noted, you're welcome to come use mine.

Oh, forgot to mention: here are the elements of the current stair railing project after their initial Hossfelding. More to be done, but the radiused V-blocks worked great for basic bending. 

IMG_8034.thumb.jpeg.22993d6ae2a7d08c8e202143b553638a.jpeg

On 1/7/2024 at 10:38 AM, JHCC said:

I have been encountering two small problems: [...] and having to reach somewhat awkwardly for the handle extension. For [...] the former, an idea is starting to percolate. 

And here it is: a removable outboard stock support that hooks into the last hole in the main frame and rests on the circle guide.

IMG_8008.thumb.jpeg.60c1d240208c183aad565620515f4d82.jpeg

IMG_8010.thumb.jpeg.460e855f438672e3eecc02b657e083aa.jpeg

It's not perfect, but it keeps the pipe from slipping out of the tooling while you're setting up the bend. I'll call that a win.