I Forge Iron

Hummingbird

sfDuck

I'm not aware of a tutorial, but take a 4" length of 3/4" mild steel, fan out the tail with a cross peen, neck the head with a fuller, taper the bill and you have a hummer!:)  Hint...do the tail first.  Kinda hard to hold the thing by the bill, LOL

Arkie, do you then make the wings as a separate piece and weld or rivet them onto the body?

I have seen a technique illustrated (I haven't tried it myself) where for a bird you take a bar and take half the thickness off  a portion of the ends so that it forms sort of a fat, inverted T when viewed from the side.  You then split the fat stem of the T lingthwise and spread it out to the sides.  These form the wings and the ends form the head and tail.  I think it might work better with a power hammer than by hand but I do want to try it some time.

GNM

That guy has so many cool figurines using just a block. I had a bunch saved for when I have a better way to cut into metal. I tried using a hacksaw and it went wonky and was just awful, lol. Trying the angle grinder with cutoff wheel tonight. Keeping an eye on the online farm auctions around here for a bandsaw in my price range.

I don't know what your budget is but HF has one for about $350, probably less if you watch the sales.  I bought one about 12-15 years ago for about $200 and it has been pretty good.  I've had a few issues but they are mainly from my inexperience with it and not knowing how to correct the problems.  The cures and adjestments were easy once I figured it out.

Just make sure that you get one that has an adjustment for low speed for metal cutting.  Most of the band saws designed for wood have too fast a speed.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

22 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Arkie, do you then make the wings as a separate piece and weld or rivet them onto the body?

George, I cut the wings out of 1/8" sheet metal or bar stock and tack weld them to the body.

The youtube video posted by wicon (above) is amazing.  Might have to give that one a try!

You might look into the HF Bauer Porta-band. We got it for under $100 on sale a couple of years ago and it does a lot of work. There is a thread about making a stand for it and I would make one, if we didn't have a vertical/horizontal band saw already. Just checked their website and it's $129.99 now.