I Forge Iron

Newbie forge help

Fish4evr

Hi. I have wanted to try blacksmithing for a while. The only experience I have on the subject is watching YouTube and recently finding this forum. My son has expressed an interest so we are looking for a forge. As I read through the post I get the feeling that the general consensus is a forge is built not bought. As fun as that would be I'm not ready to start a project (that I know nothing about) just so I can start a project I know nothing about. A search on a popular on line store brings up thousands of options all of which are made in a certain country and I don't want something that will blow up. I found one on another website that's even cheaper. Is this a red flag? Any help on buying a gas forge would be greatly appreciated and may keep the barn from burning down. Of course I'm on a budget, and don't need anything fancy. Just looking for something to get started so we can start the learning curve. I live in Tooele County Utah.

Thanks. Fish4evr

Good Morning and welcome,

Forget about buying or building anything, yet. Look for a Blacksmith association near where you live. Join in on one of their meetings or events. Meet someone who lives close to you and ask to join/help when they have something going on. There is a list of Association at the bottom of this Home page, or at the ABANA web-site.

Take little steps, find out if you actually enjoy the people and the learning. By doing, you will soon find out what it is that you would like, yourself. There are many arms/legs of the Blacksmith, Repousse', Tool Making, Fences and/or Gates, little bits of Art. A lot of people seem to think they have to make a Blade shaped Object, first. The sky is the limit. I know a lady who makes Damascus Jewellery in her kitchen. There is not a best before date, or a 'HAVE TO DO' list, other than 'You Have to Play Safe. Wear your Ear and Eye Protection religously.

Enjoy your Journey, Don't make it a Chore!!

Neil

1 hour ago, Fish4evr said:

As I read through the post I get the feeling that the general consensus is a forge is built not bought.

Your feeling is mistaken. We talk up every commercial forge that in our consensus of opinion is worth its price. We do try to discus both pros and cons, rather than just pitch any product. We had good things to say about Hell's forge, for two years;; then they raised their prices enough to make their product problematic for us. We still talk up Chile forges, bought admit that they are very expensive for beginners to choose. We talk up Diamondback forges, even though many of us disagree with his politics, and still others don't care for how he expresses them; nevertheless, his forges are well worth their prices, and we say so. Recently we have talked up Volcano forges as a very good deal at their price, and more than hot enough. What we don't do is cheer for totally out of date forge designs with manufacturers to invested in the past to upgrade.

56 minutes ago, swedefiddle said:

Enjoy your Journey, Don't make it a Chore!!

Neil

All good points, Neil.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

First, you need to decide if you want to use a propane forge which I think is where you are going from your post or a solid fuel (charcoal, coal, or coke) forge.  A very basic solid fuel forge (JABOD, Just A Box Of Dirt) can be slapped together in an hour or so.  All you need is some lumber and a blower (a hand held hair drier will do).  This is not much of a "project."  Look at some of the JABOD threads here on IFI.

I agree with Swedefiddle, getting involved in a local group is a very good way to get involved with the craft.  Look up the Great Basin Blacksmith Guild which I think is the closest ABANA affiliate to you.

I hope ylu and your son find the craft as rewarding as many of us have.  I have been doing it since 1978 and it has helped me through bad times and increased my happiness during good times.  It is a hobby that can provide a supplemental income which few other avocations can do.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Sound advise all so I'm not going to add anything to the forge list. What I will add is not getting too large a forge, a single burner forge is more than enough room to handle projects through intermediate levels. My other is a standard of mine, "The only thing rushing guarantees is making your mistakes permanent more quickly." You WILL make mistakes but there is no need to make them your equipment choices, a simple mid sized anvil is all you need, modest forge, some basic tongs and a short selection of smooth faced hammers. I start guys with a 32oz. Drill hammer it's heavy enough to do good work while light enough it won't tire too quickly or do permanent damage, the shorter handle aids in hammer control so you don't have to spend as much attention trying to hit what you're aiming at. After than a 32-40 oz. cross pein is a good choice. You don't need nor want high dollar specialty hammers, those two will teach you the craft and be your go to hammers for many years to come. A farrier's rounding hammer is another excellent general purpose hammer and you should keep your eyes open for a good deal but you do NOT need one.

Haunt Garage, yard, estate, etc. sales for more tools for cheap. 

Remember, this is F U N! Don't make it a chore. Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been forging for about 41 years now.  How I made the jump from solid fuel forges to propane forges was by attending a couple of "Build a gas forge" events held by the "local" ABANA Affiliate.  That way I got a working, safe design made in a Saturday at the club's shop.   (Of course moving to where it's a tad difficult to get good forging coal really helps increase the push to convert...)

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. All good advice so far. A JABOD (Just A Box Of Dirt) solid fuel forge (lump charcoal or coal) and an improvised anvil will get ya going for very little cash outlay.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/267-jabod-just-a-box-of-dirt/

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/

Thank you all for your advice. I will look into some local associations. I like the JABOD idea, I have a bunch of Pallets left over from a different project I can use. Frosty, thanks for the hammer info that question was soon to follow. Irondragon, the links were a big help. I will have more questions and will post them in the appropriate topic.

Thanks again

Fish4evr.

If you have a problem finding blacksmith coal and go with charcoal DO NOT use charcoal briquettes.  They are powdered charcoal with a binder (often corn startch) holding the bits together.  In the blast of a forge the burning birquettes will disintegrate and blow into your face.  This is a BAD thing.  Use solid lump charcoal (aka cowboy charcoal).

You could also convert some of your pallets into charcoal.  There are a number of threads on IFI about how to do this. Or look up "charcoal retorts."

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."