I Forge Iron

Wagon wheel Australia

TravisM

So I've been chasing some wrought iron for san mai knives for a while, it's a bit hard to find here in Australia.  I was looking to buy from overseas UK/US  postage is pretty expensive.   I got quoted £40 for 1 x wrought chain link £60 postage.   So I started looking for wagon wheels here.  I don't have a great knowledge of our steel making history in Australia.  I don't know if we produced much wrought or imported it, any help would be appreciated. 

The asking price is $200aud  1.5m wheel

ad_1663332634443.jpg

Ripped into this wagon tyre today. 

I forged it from 20mm thick to 9mm. Cut it and cleaned up, the only high carbon steel I had around that thickness was an old worn out file so I used that as the core steel.  I've used old files for kitchen knives before and I really like them as monosteel blades.  It turned out to be a bad combo with the wrought,  I've got way too much core left, hardly any wrought.  I forged it almost all the way to shape just to keep the cladding where I need it but I'm guessing I'll grind through the a lot if the wrought layer.  I'd be interested to know how other knife makers work with wrought.  

L

20220923_132616.jpg

20220923_154648.jpg

20220923_113946.jpg

20220923_130657.jpg

20220923_115242.jpg

20220923_091458.jpg

20220923_153526.jpg

20220923_110244.jpg

Certainly looks like wrought to me.  You did a fine job keeping the HC centered, at least in the photos.  Can be more difficult once forged to shape.  I've done a handful of blades with this kind of combination, and the wrought moves so much faster than the HC it can be a challenge to forge accurately.  If you forged close to final shape and thickness with forged bevels you should have enough cladding to show up.  Can be a real test of your forging skills.  Check out Nick Rossi's videos on forging San Mai wrought knives for good info.

I don't do a full perimeter weld prior to the initial forge weld, but if you have clean surfaces it can't hurt and will eliminate the need for flux.

Be careful when quenching.  The different thermal expansion between the hardened steel and wrought can rip your billet apart right down the spine.  Careful normalizing and stress relief before hardening and a slight bevel at the spine to reduce the thickness of the cladding seems to help.  Also make sure you get the blade into tempering as soon as it cools to a point where you have martensite conversion.

Yes I was very surprised how differently the wrought moved compared to the file steel. I'm certainly no expert but maybe w2? 

I've done lot of san mai before and I do everything flux free.  My next billet will have 3.6mm 1084 core and see how that moves.  

This is the forged blade 

20220923_235936.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks awesome, Travis.

I'm by no means an expert but some of the old railway areas may have old railroad spikes/dog spikes that are wrought. It can be a bit hit-and-miss though. I picked up a few in Cairns and there are a lot of people west of Brisbane who sell old spikes on marketplace. I'm guessing there would be some historic railway areas in or near the Hunter?

Any Cobb and Co. type historical places near you?

Cheers,

Jono.

• 2 weeks later...