I Forge Iron

Making charcoal traditional way

1/3 sounds about right but a lot of the reduction is shrinkage not carbon loss. I've only been involved in charcoal retorting a couple times, once with a cinder block :rolleyes: enclosure around the drum, the other we dug a trench. We used the same sheet steel cover. Laying small wood, sticks, etc. in the bottom of the retort began charring very quickly and the retort began producing flammable gasses. In both cases we got the process started started with slash wood say thumb size and smaller. Once started it was self sustaining until it was almost completely pyrolized. We used a hoe to mound dirt and ash over the exhaust pipe to exclude oxygen from the retort while it cooled. 

It wasn't my operation, he wanted it for BBQing but it was more than interesting and I've kept it in my book of tricks. The trickiest part of the whole operation was finding a clamp lid 55 gal drum that wasn't used for hazardous materials and had a bung in the lid. He ended up using a 2" through hull pipe fitting a couple nipples and elbow to direct the released gasses into the draft under the drum. 

Unfortunately steel 55 gal drums are getting scarce, plastic drums are cheaper and less reactive to what they carry. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.