I Forge Iron

Fixing a Bent axle on antique auto

Knowcera

Hi,  I am restoring a 1930 buick and observed the front axel has a slight bend.  I can build a jig to bend it back, however, how to I verify if the metal is bendable and wont crack.   It is a king-pin style ibeam/h-bean axel.   Front right wheel.    

2C30FE57-B4F7-4F1B-9BEF-8102CDD0D54C.jpeg

ECE546FC-4930-41CA-B734-F741620D1E6B.png

Welcome aboard Know cera, glad to have you. If you put you general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. 

Perhaps a pic of the part you're asking about would be more helpful? You're asking about the front axle and posted a pic of the rear end. Hmmm?

Just off the top I'd say it'll bend. First, it's Bent now. Second, the alloy is intended to survive flexing forces for decades at least, millions of cycles. Lastly it was made at a time things were expected to be repairable it is from a time pre planned obsolescence. 

The above opinion are my speculation based on general knowledge and assumptions not specifically automotive.

Have you asked on an antique auto forum?

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Know cera, glad to have you. If you put you general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. 

Perhaps a pic of the part you're asking about would be more helpful? You're asking about the front axle and posted a pic of the rear end. Hmmm?

Just off the top I'd say it'll bend. First, it's Bent now. Second, the alloy is intended to survive flexing forces for decades at least, millions of cycles. Lastly it was made at a time things were expected to be repairable it is from a time pre planned obsolescence. 

The above opinion are my speculation based on general knowledge and assumptions not specifically automotive.

Have you asked on an antique auto forum?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks.  Yea,  im in New Jersey and the car is in PA so agree, a better pic would be helpful.   Your feedback is helpful.  I have asked the antique auto forum and waiting for a response.  

6 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

I straightened a bend cold, on my '36 Chevrolet front axle, using a porta-power and chains back in the '50s.

Thanks

Talked to an older guy at the collision center I work at. He said older ones were able to be bent but some were marked "do not bend" or something like that. If it is not cast iron you should be fine. Heat will definately help. As mentioned allow it to slowly air cool. 

• 2 months later...