I Forge Iron

Husband passed away... looking for anvil info on trexton

Hello, forgive me if I am in the wrong section for this inquiry. My husband passed away last year and I am trying to price metal working items. This anvil has been in my family for 60 years, I think. I have done some research and had an anvil person offer to purchase... but I wasn't ready yet. He polished the top to see if there were any weld marks and did a rebound test... passed both. My problem is that it is a very big anvil and my husband mounted it on a metal stand. So, I cannot see the front bottom of the anvil. I have attached pictures. I have done some research and it does not have any sway back and the logo is quite sharp. It has a raised 50 on the base. Any comments? ... measurement shown in pictures. Thanks

Questions: I know the weight often determines it's value. Does the raised 50 mean it is 500lbs?

Any guess on weight and/or value.? An anvil guy is coming over next week and I am looking for a range. 

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_0389 (1).jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0406 (1).jpg

IMG_0385 (1).jpg

IMG_0384 (1).jpg

Edited by pjnelson1
Added info

Good size Trenton in good shape on a nicely made stand.  From the measurements might be in the 200+ pound range.  In that condition I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 5 or 6 $/LB, especially if you include the stand.  I'd get some friends and an old bathroom scale and weigh it before selling.

That Trenton looks to be welded at the waist leaning the upper half should be fully tool steel. Looks it great shape. If ring and rebound is good it is good. I love my trenton with the top tool steel half. 

Looks like the edges were radiused. 

Weight stamp and serial number are on the front foot under the horn and hidden by the stand. 

It looks and sounds like a good anvil and should bring a good fair higher price in your area. What that is, I dont know. 

The stand is nice and "if" it matches the buyers height is good, but if not it is pretty much a throw in and shouldn't be a pricing factor. 

Condolences for the loss of your husband. Best thing would be getting that anvil into the hands of someone that can use it and cherrish it as a great tool. A fair price to you as well.  

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I will ring the anvil in the garden to ask for comfort be sent to you, family and friends at the passing of your husband.

The Trenton anvils were top notch anvils and in the shape yours seems to be in should bring top dollar. Especially from a person who would use it and not try and flip it for a profit. You should be able to put a pry bar down in front (under the horn) and the stand to raise the feet enough to see the weight and serial number stamped into them.

• 2 weeks later...