I Forge Iron

Touch mark

Hi Thomas,

I am a clockmaker in Australia and have a  wrought Iron tower clock movement C1700-1800. I think it was made in Austria.

It is 1.6 metres long and would have come from a large public building.

It has only one mark(stamp) which is on the longest part of the frame. A very clear "bear" in profile. I am told it may be a blacksmiths mark.

I can send you some pictures if you would be willing to look for me? 

Do you have any way of tracking down the maker or where it was made/date?

Many thanks in advance for any help.....Matthew.

Bear stamp in iron 2 .jpg

DEC 21.jpg

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile and add it.

When I was in the U.S. Coast Guard and stationed on a Light Station, the civilian keeper was French and a clock repairman. One time he was working on a large Grandfathers clock. It was made in Austria and the movement frame had that bear mark. I would sometimes help him by cleaning parts for him and that's how I ran across the bear mark. While talking about the mark he explained the Bear was a "Hallmark" of the Swiss makers and a lot of Austrian clock makers would import Swiss works for their clocks.

The only other thing I remember about that clock (other than the case was very ornate and had a fancy cast brass plate inside with the initials G B on it. I polished a lot of brass while stationed there.:D Do you have the case and pictures of it? I would guess it's possible G B made/imported tower clock movements also.

Another thing, if you know which building it came out of, they may have some history.info about the clock.

Edited by Irondragon ForgeClay Works
add thought.

• 4 months later...

Hi Irondragon,

Greeting from Australia. Many thanks for your post about the "bear" stamp" .

I am waiting on the Museum Of Timkeeping inthe UK to give me their opinion of the clock and its age/origin.

Since my last post I found the same stamp on the pendulum rod (the rod  is 2.6 metres long) so I know it is original to the clock.

The movement in the pictures is I have of the original clock but I have repaired it and it works.

That is interesting about the origin being Swiss. I will keep researching.

Here is a link to a YouTube video in case you are interested in seeing it running.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7s8YYRB-AY

If I find any more information on the stamp I will post it.

Many thanjs!

PS: Sorry it took so long to reply to your post.B)