I Forge Iron

First try

Malenmetal

Like copper, keep annealling brass by heating and quenching to avoid work hardening and cracking.  Also, I suggest defining the edges of the raised areas by using a stake with a slightly rounded edge so that the edges are crisper and the transition from background to raised area is more sudden.  A piece of hard wood can be used if you don't have a suitable metal stake.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks for the advice on the stakes. I was just using a curved crosspien hammer if that makes sense to get at the outline but as you can see it didn't work to well. I have since made stakes and will round the edges. I also have made a larger chisel then the one I used in the bird so I'm hoping it works better. My goal is to get good enough to do a last super piece even though I'm not religious really I have always like it. I'm going to make more punches and chisels to use.  I'll post any more work I do.

Also, I believe that you need something to back up the work that is resistant but somewhat soft.  A resin ball is common.  There was a recent IFI discussion about makining your own resin for this purpose rather than buying the commercial stuff.  I seem to recall the ingredients included pine pitch, bees wax, and brick dust.  Also, as I understand the technique you do almost all your work from the back side.

GNM

I'm no good at repousse, but I think those are pretty good for first attempts. I can't give you any practical advise but encourage you to develop your skill if you are of a mind to.  I would be glad to hang those on my wall.  I love to look at repousse art and hope to see more of yours someday.

I tried a butterfly and it turned out looking like a cross between a pork chop and a toadstool... :)

Re Brass: there are MANY alloys of "brass" some work better than others!  Just like you can hot forge some brass alloys and can't others.  I'd suggest you contact a local University's Art Department and talk to a Professor about which ones you might try.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late here but looks real good. I really like the texture of the quail background.

I have a sand filled leather bag that I use a bit and some stakes as noted. You might dress your hammer and tools some to reduce the marks.

Keep at it. I want to do more but always find that I would rather spend my time forging. I wish the wife would let me do it in front of the tv at night.