I Forge Iron

Which rosebud should I get for my new oxy/propane rig?

ede

I have a medium duty Smith torch and have been debating which oxy/propane rosebud to switch to since I am making the switch for heating from oxy/acetylene to oxy/propane along with new T-grade hoses to my gas saver.  I was thinking of purchasing the MT800 although Smith has stopped manufacturing them, I think I found a source.  However, the MT 615 sounds appealing if I could adjust the flame so it's not using so much consumables, then I could turn up as needed.  Thoughts?  

2109858939_ScreenShot2022-06-20at11_29_48PM.png.9546ee38b0d2fbecdb213f8f5335bc41.png

It all depends on the kind of work you're going to be doing. My Victor oxypropane rig came with a rosebud that's great for a lot of the work I do, but is a bit large for things like heating rivets.

• 1 month later...

I would advise that you buy a large nozzle for large work and a small nozzle for small work. 

The oxyacetylene rosebud nozzles are designed to run at an optimum flow rate. If you set them on a softer flame which is burning closer to the tip it can heat up and start igniting within the tip which is quite noisy, and quite terrifying. Goes off like a machine gun. 

I presume the same would be true of Oxypropane rosebuds although I have not experienced it with mine….I learnt my lesson when I frightened myself stupid with the oxyacetylene ones a few times until I discovered the cause so am now careful not to starve any of the nozzles. 

For small heating jobs I quite often use the pre heating flame of the cutting nozzles…safe as long as the oxygen pressure is set low on the bottle regulator so that if you inadvertently hit the cutting lever you don’t alter the flame and slice through your workpiece!  

Alan