I Forge Iron

New chimney

8 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Yves, how does it draw, particularly in the winter?  I have heard of long chimneys where the hot gases/smoke cooled enough on the way up that they stopped moving and the chimney wouldn't draw.

This has always been my set up. It draws very well and I never had a problem in winter. In fact, in the picture, you can see how I instruct my grand-daughter to hold on to the handle so that she would not go up the chimney…4C7E976E-BE58-49AB-9CC8-DC71325D6B0B.thumb.jpeg.1e3178b938f4923cd872fcae97088bdc.jpeg

1 hour ago, Frazer said:

Phew! That's a big'n! Single or double wall?  Seconded on being curious what's inside.

Single. Notice the top of the chimney where a sleeve (Ø 14") overlaps the chimney (Ø 12") for 3 feet and extends 1 foot over the top.

I will take a picture of the inside this morn and will post.

9 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Now that's a chimney. Would love to see some pictures of the inside of the shop. Made out of a silo I guess.

Here is what it looks like this morning.0C4659C0-D8C2-4149-9560-58D0D0D8F240.thumb.jpeg.e4504990b772c6d91aee7443850bcf3a.jpeg

Neat space! Love the "Hofi" style forge hood, been planning something like that for the new space.

Is there a ceiling above your smithing area or does it go all the way to the top of the silo?

Thanks for showing us your workspace.

Michael

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice shop Yves and your chimney sure looks to be drawing well. Does your Grand Daughter join you often?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Grand Daughter has become at 13 years old a Grand Soccer player. She trains and plays 5 times per week and she is taking courses to become a referee. I dropped down on the to-do list. And I live in the country, an hour away. There were also the restrictions with Covid.  When the picture was taken, she would come and hit hot metal. It was impressive. She was good. She is an artist. Her uncle will inherit this chimney.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Neat space! Love the "Hofi" style forge hood, been planning something like that for the new space.

Is there a ceiling above your smithing area or does it go all the way to the top of the silo?

Thanks for showing us your workspace.

Michael

This forge hood is interesting not only because the system draws so well but also because there is nothing above the fire pot. It eases the handling of longer pieces. Do not hesitate in your  new space. This supper sucker is a good way to go. The sleeve running at the last 4 feet permits to avoid a cap on the chimney. Rain always falling at an angle, hits the inside of the sleeve and runs down to the ground. I have very little water, even very little snow in there.

There is a ceiling at ten feet. I can stand 20' bars cut in half. The rest of the silo is empty for now. The son thinks/dreams of installing a film editing studio in there. We have kicked a few ideas around. It would be possible, but the plans are still at the dream stage. Think about it: it would be lovely to raise the aluminium top of the silo and lay it back down on a piece of some sort of glass running all around the top edge or only half and letting only the northern light come in. Possibilities are endless (forged stairs outside with doors at three levels, simple strap elevator in the part where they used to climb to work on the grain).

4 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I love it, always good to be able to adapt a current structure to ones needs. I bet your Grand Daughter will be hammering hot steel when she gets a little older.

I am glad you bring it up. When I decided to forge, the silo appeared in our conversations. I remember clearly when The Woman saying "Why not in the silo?". It is a great building, plum after all these years, straight as an arrow and just sitting there, empty, useless. And there we went. We sort of saved it. Absolutely no regrets and even though it is only Ø14' (154 sq ft), I have made some longish handrails.230E115C-5E15-44B1-9C54-F0E6CA3AC8D7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.908c10e80e0ebb1e84390765e883e119.jpeg

I've wanted a silo since I was a little kid. An observatory on top is a must with 360 windows to watch sunsets on the mountains and whatever. I figured it'd be a great place to entertain guests or hold games. A great sound system is a must too of course.

It wouldn't take much to make it a perfect place to play RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons or the one a friend and I are starting to get into Call of Cthulhu. Talk about gaming in the keep! B)

Frosty The Lucky.