I Forge Iron

Files, chisels, hacksaw blades

No foundry needed for blacksmithing!

GOOD files are usually high carbon low alloy steel, like 1095, W1 etc. Chisels are often the same, but not always. They can be used for any purpose where you might need a hard edge on a tool, or need springy flexability. A good beginner's project is firesteels/fire strikers. You can make several from one decent sized file. Another common use is to 'let in' (weld on) a steel edge to a tool made of mild steel or wrought iron, like an axe, an adze or a shovel. This though needs a fair amount of skill.

Depends on the type of chisel; socket chisels make nice spearpoints if they are large enough; beware of the very old ones that are steeled wrought iron though!

Steel chisels can be forged into chisels, punches, speciality forging tools or knives---I buy old beat up ones at the fleamarket as stock for making other tools---some will even air harden as a blade!

Files I use in pattern welded billets to juice up the C content---especially the old black diamond ones. Farriers rasps I make into Rasptlesnakes or bend them around a drift and forge weld them together to make camp hatchets. I also use them to pattern the surface of hot steel by putting it on top and smacking it a good one!

Hacksaw blades I layer up with pallet banding to make pattern welded billets of save to make scrapers for handle inletting or grind down to fit tang holes in guards to lengthen them.

To have a foundry to melt and re-use tool steel you probably would be best with a small induction furnace in a vacuum chamber and I don't know *any* blacksmith with that set up in their smithy.

Edited by ThomasPowers

Punches, chisels, etc. also I have used them for the cutting edge on cut off hardies, forge the body of the hardie out of mild steal or whatever you have laying around, then make the cutting edge from an old file and weld it to the body, then heat treat.
No matter what you decide to use them for, whatever excess you have just put in a pile or in a box to use later, don't toss them, they are good to have around for when you need them.

welder19

Depends on the type of chisel; socket chisels make nice spearpoints if they are large enough; beware of the very old ones that are steeled wrought iron though!

Steel chisels can be forged into chisels, punches, speciality forging tools or knives---I but old beat up ones at the fleamarket as stock for making other tools---some will even air harden as a blade!

Files I use in pattern welded billets to juice up the C content---especially the old black diamond ones. Farriers rasps I make into Rasptlesnakes or bend them around a drift and forge weld them together to make camp hatchets. I also use them to pattern the surface of hot steel by putting it on top and smacking it a good one!

Hacksaw blades I layer up with pallet banding to make pattern welded billets of save to make scrapers for handle inletting or grind down to fit tang holes in guards to lengthen them.

To have a foundry to melt and re-use tool steel you probably would be best with a small induction furnace in a vacuum chamber and I don't know *any* blacksmith with that set up in their smithy.

what is a rasptlesnake?

A snake forged from an old rasp. Very popular with the customers and farriers who are usually looking for something to do with worn out rasps so it's a win win.

Frosty

That sounds really cool.. what does one look like.. I couldn't find a picture on the web.

I recently visited one of the best museums I've ever seen, Maison de l'outil et de la pense ouvrire (Tool & Worker's Thinking Centre, or Tool & Trade Musem) where one of the displays had examples of spanners, wedges, variuos sharp tools 7 other things made from old files & other worn out or unused tools.

If you're ever in Champagne, you MUST visit this museum!!!! :)

Edited by Ratel10mm

That sounds really cool.. what does one look like.. I couldn't find a picture on the web.

Sorry it took a while to get it downloaded. Deb's been at the state fair and been too exhausted when she got home.

I bought this one in Winslow (I think) Washington maybe 15 years ago. I'm afraid the tire tracks don't show as well as they should.

Frosty

8034.attach

8035.attach

Edited by Frosty