I Forge Iron

My Old Hobby Machine Shop

Here is a photo of my old basement machine shop.  There is a Wards metal lathe, Atlas metal shaper and Atlas milling machine.  I taught myself to cut small gears on each machine and built the fixtures.  Rack, spur, bevel, etc.... Workable gears, mind you, tolerable for my uses. Nothing NASA would approve of.   I never could understand helical and herringbone's though so I never tried.   I have lost my lust for tolerances and used the funds from the sale of them to invest in a shop and metal shaping equipment of a different sort.....:)  I do still have a South Bend heavey 10 tho. :ph34r:

20161226_003225_compress17.jpg

19 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Glad to have you on the "Dark Side" of metalworking!

Took me a while to see the light!

18 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Glad you kept the Southbend.

Oh, and a milling attachment for the crosslide.  Couldn't go cold turkey..... you never know.....

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a fitter at Zidell barges in Portland.  Different kind of fitting I suppose.  I think we had to hold at least a 64th or maybey things would get out of hand....:)  But I think I know what you mean.

Actually, working to a '64th and being competent with bending forks and scrolling wrench, monkey tools etc, traditional smiths do very little "fitting by file". And of course its those danged "cowboy shoe'rs" who file a hoof to fit the shoe. Farriers fit the shoe to the hoof and both do this because it takes too much time to do it otherwise.  

You DON'T trim and dress a hoof before fitting the shoe and after clinching the nails!?:o 

I know, of course you do or you wouldn't have any customers once word got out and there's a good reason "cowboys" filed a hoof to fit the shoe. Riding the range you carry a couple spare shoes, one front one rear, minimum, a hammer, file. A hoof pick and brush goes without saying. The only cowboys I knew who carried a clincher and nips either rode a horse that threw a lot of shoes or put spares on other's horses. Some guys were really good at it. Rocky ground caused a lot of flats too. 

My hammer let me straighten clinched nails and pull them and start the clinch on new nails. I was no real cowboy but I was no a Rexall Ranger. (That's "drugstore cowboy" for you younguns.) These were never permanent, Dad or I would pull the spare and have our farrier out to make it right soonest. 

You got me to reminiscing again. Good times.

Frosty The Lucky.