I Forge Iron

Ok got a question for everyone out there

IowaOEF

-Can you do it, yes.  Should you do it, no.  Because of the larger diameter you will end up with a gas hog and something too large than what is needed for almost all projects.  The shell is the most basic and cheapest part of a propane forge.  Don't use something too large just because you happen to have it.  You will burn up what you save in additional propane usage very quickly.   I suggest something smaller, e.g. a 20# propane tank.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

You can probably buy enough K-26 insulating fire bricks to do it for what enough Kaowool to line a 100lb. propane tank forge would cost. Seeing as you already cut the tank in half disregard my previous suggestion to store propane in it and turn it into a BBQ. 

When I finally got my shop closed in I built what I thought would be a very versatile shop forge. It's roughly 24" square with a lid mounted on a scissor jack so I can lift the lid and arrange the IFBs that partition sections and shape. It's heated by four 3/4" T burners. In the 20 years I've had the thing I've only fired up all 4 burners a couple times. First for pics and to cure the refractory. After that a couple times when I had enough guys over to need room in the forge for 5-6 guy's work. 90% of the time I use that forge I fire a single 5" x 5" x 8-9" section and 3 burners just sit there looking like weird trees.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, that's the OD subtract 5" for the IFB sidewalls. I could cook pizza in it but it sheds stuff, dust from the ITC-100 on the lid, from scraped IFBs (Insulating Fire Bricks), flux, scale, etc. You  know the usual . . . stuff found in a propane forge. 

Oops, it's only 20" square, posting a pic and it's obvious. This is it when it was new about it's 3rd iteration and pretty much how she is now. The open section closest is my usual when I fire it up, I'll move the partition and light the one in line behind for heating longer sections. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1039398148_PhotoMoto0038.jpg.0b762281c3f26eb3a7cbac320dc73f37.jpg

If you used a stainless steel peel and moved around you could bake a pizza around 40" Dia. A Medium in Alaska.

You could be right Mike, I'll bet if a VOLUNTEER sifted and organized all the posts and pics of brick forges Glenn or Steve would start a subsection for you.

Frosty The Lucky.