I Forge Iron

Press build help kelvis

kelvis

hi. i want to build a decent forge press but have no idea where to start. I think a 20 to 30 tonne press should be enough. just wondered if anyone had any info on the correct cylinder and pump size to use. i want it to be powered not hand operated too.

I don't know of any successful hand operated forging presses; save for Fly Presses; so powered is a "given".  Start by figuring out what you plan to use it for, how big it needs to be for that and what you can afford!   It would be really helpful if we knew where you were at, if you are in Tasmania it doesn't help suggesting you visit any of the smiths in New Mexico USA that built and use presses.  (Pep has a LARGE one for instance.)   If you have never worked with hydraulics I strongly suggestg you partener with someone who has!

Eseemann; I'd like to see several hundred hours of use on your press before suggesting it as a way to go.  How much does it have so far?

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

One of the best ways to start,  is by reading through the Presses forum. At least then you will be familiar with the terms and some what is involved safety wise when building a press.

11 hours ago, kelvis said:

no idea where to start.

Can ya weld cause that will be one skill ya need or know someone who can weld cause thats were it starts.And what i mean by that is if your going to build it from scratch or convert a log splitter etc ya gotta be able to weld properly , be willing to buy new or pay someone to build your design.Another thing i'll add is don't get caught up in tonnage for a small shop i recommend speed over push.

Welcome aboard Kelvis, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

A hydraulic forge press isn't a beginner's project. How well do you weld, not CAN you weld but how well? A weld failing at the wrong moment can be catastrophic and not just to the machine. 

How much do you have in you budget? Build or buy, neither is a cheap piece of equipment. 

Not knowing what your skills are or what's available to you I'd have to suggest you convert a log splitter. You can make a good forging press without welding at all and all the serious structural engineering necessary has been done by people who have been doing it for decades. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I recommend you get Jim Batson's book on building hydraulic presses.  It will answer a lot of your questions.  Unless you are very good at scrounging expect to spend over $1,500 for the materials and equipment you will need for construction, not including your time and consumables.  As the guys have mentioned excellent welding skills are required.

One consideration is to be sure you actually need a hydraulic press.  There are other options, depending on what you plan on forging.  Unlike what you have seen on Forged in Fire, the vast majority of smiths have never used a hydraulic press, much less owned one.  I'm not saying they aren't a nice tool, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but they are also expensive, need a significant power source to run, and can be dangerous for the novice user.

Like i said you got to able to weld properly or pay someone thats certified if ya got the cash buy one but  if you got the skills build one there not hard.If you don't understand hydraulics go to a shop and get a basic system flow/design print and talk to the guys out back they might help ya a bit plus theres books as well.Once ya figure out a basic setup and build it you can improve on it.If you cant weld go to a certified welding shop with a basic design let them build the frame then plumb in the hydraulics yourself to save some cash.These are just a few examples how to help yourself out and theres a forge press site on facebook i recommend, lots of nice homebuilt presses on there to get ideas of what you want.

Have fun with the project post some pics start to finish theres a few of us on here that built their presses from scratch on here including myself they are a great asset to have.

I just read  Latticino's post also good advice...