I Forge Iron

Canedy-Otto leaking oil into Tuyere

Hi all, just filled up my blower with oil, says on the side (keep filled to oil plug) so I did that, now it is leaking oil into the hose running into the tuyere. It runs quiet and blows A LOT of air. So I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. 

Is this indicative of a problem?

5DF771E4-950E-427E-A373-2052DE8882D6.jpeg

6BBCACE5-8F84-4B16-8677-91049EC75377.jpeg

More pictures 

FDAE8FB6-33DD-4E14-AB3B-87C88662778A.jpeg

0FD428C6-775C-4EB9-B449-2F419E7B0374.jpeg

4564AC40-4BA2-4C43-BAC8-67184E327281.jpeg

Wowza. Just found the other plug... it’s hidden on the bottom, about an  inch up the housing, maybe added too much ATF

This probably means that it is leaking into the fan housing around one of the shafts rather than out through the seam between the 2 halves of the gearbox (common on C-O or other oil bath blowers).  I agree that a heavier oil may reduce the problem.  You may have to do some messy experimentation to discover the optimum blend.  While it is possible to install a gasket on the seam to stop leaks there it will be much more difficult to stop it happening around a shaft.  One of the other folk with more experience in this area may be able to offer suggestions.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

As everyone said it's overfilled right now. After that is remedied I'd just put a tray full of kitty litter under the blower. I use ATF in the winter or 5W20 or 30 in the summer in my blower. I work outside though and anything but ATF or clear machine oil gets too thick when it's in the temperature drops into the teens. 

Pnut

I use the light machine oil they sell for use in Swamp coolers out here and only a small squirt every now and then; but then you have a fancier geared blower with an oil bath; so fill it to the correct level and if there are any drips, well the Al foil roasting pan full of cheap clay kitty litter works.  Me, I have a dirt floor and haven't noticed an oily spot yet.  Supposed to hit 75 degF one day next week, tonight's snowstorm will probably not reach us down in the valley.