I Forge Iron

Propane prices

I was looking to see what everyone is paying for propane. For me to fill my 25 Gal. tank at the local provider it is $3.09 per gal. I happened to be in the school district office when the propane delivery guy dropped off the invoice for the 5500 + gallons he had just transferred and their cost is $1.83 per gal. That is just a huge difference. I didn't but should have asked him what the minimum order would be to get that kind of pricing.

So tell me, how much do you pay?

Its almost always much cheaper if you have a tank installed. But there is usually a significant setup fee for installation. There are also the questions about whether they will deliver to your location and whether local zoning laws allow you to have permanent propane tank. Call the gas co. they will give you all the info

I'm pretty sure having a big tank will be no problem, we are in a agricultural area and the fruit farmers have many LP powered wind mills that they use when there's a chance of frost and cold harming the budding trees. There is are 2, 500 gal. size tanks within 50 yards of my shop. I'd love to tap into those! But my neighbors might not be too impressed with my ingenuity!

I bought a 330 gal. propane tank about two years ago to run my propane forges. When I had it filled this June I paid $2.29 a gal. I wait until summer fill prices to get the best deal. I used to use a 30# tank, then a 100# tank. I did the math and went with the bigger one. It's cheaper, I don't have to run into town to get my tank filled when I need it(losing shop time), it doesn't freeze up like the smaller tanks and I'm not leaving any in the tank when changing over.

• 4 months later...

I use BBQ sized tanks because they are easy to move around. I bought several at garage sales for 5$ and below each. I take and exchange them at Walmart (least expensive) for a little less than $18 each (not long ago it was about $13).

I have inquired about getting a 200 lb tank installed, but didn't find service that would come to install and fill it where I live.

I lock into a price in the summer with a "pre buy." Unfortunately, our prices have not come down, I am paying 2.899 for the 1,000 gallons I ordered this year. It sound good when gas was over $4.00 gallon. I have always done the large tank outside since I switched over to propane. I have also always used a system with a blower and household pressure, 11 Inches of water column (about 1/2 pound pressure.) They are much more efficient than the naturally aspirated forges, hotter faster too. However, since I started running classes and more forges in my shop, my propane dealer set me up on 10 pounds of pressure coming into the building. I have black pipe running around most of my walls with outlets that I hook into. The outlets are old tank valves the dealer gave me. They fit into 3/4" pipe as that is the thread on the tank end. I hook the barbecue type regulators into those old tank valves to bring my pressure down to what I need and able to run 6 to 8 forges off this type of system. Plus I can move a forge to the work when necessary.

After I posted above, I did a little research and found propane would be much cheaper here if I did use larger tanks. It doesn't have to be a LARGE tank either. The price I pay to exchange BBQ tanks at Walmart runs about $4.14 a gallon. If I used 40 or 100 pound tanks, the cost would go down to about $2.55 a gallon (if I take tanks to be filled). In fact, it would be cheaper to have a 30# tank filled than exchanging the 20# BBQ tank.

Obviously, there will be an initial higher costs to buy tanks though, but it won't take much time to recoup that cost.