I Forge Iron

Help building forge press

Blackcherryforge

Help building forge press

i’m trying to start building a forge press I have access to a hydraulic set up minus a ram I’ll attach pictures of the motor pump and the whole unit below my question is is this set up adequate for a forge press and if so what size cylinder would I be able to run or am I better off to just start from scratch? The hydraulic set up is off of a trash compactor

F176CE24-3B62-4382-8786-770A3F95F7DC.jpeg

AFB771AB-3011-4BAF-B2E1-536B914DF16E.jpeg

FF9F38D8-3677-4F6B-830E-23C4AA236D7F.jpeg

It is all about matching the components for the task at hand.  You need to look at pump capacity (you have 6.5 GPM available), pressure available, speed of travel needed, and cylinder internal capacities/pressure output.

If you are putting out 6.5 GPM on a large diameter cylinder you will get high output pressure and low travel speed. With a smaller cylinder you will lose pressure, but gain speed.  Retracting speed will be faster due to lower internal volume due to the rod taking up space. 

So, you will need to get some math going, and need to find out what pressure the pump puts out. Our compactor dumpster tops out at 1,000 psi.

Pressure

flow rates at different pressures

surface area of cylinder piston

internal volume of cylinder

Effective use of pressure will also vary with die design.  1,000 psi on a 4"x2" face will be less than with a 4"x 1/2" face, and far less than with a 1"x1" face.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. Also a lot of questions have answers that are strongly regional such as tool availability and price or potential markets and selling prices.

Biggun laid out the basics of what you need to know to establish what kind forging press you can build from the pump. Being 3 phase would put it right off my radar but that's my shop. Of course I could be misreading the plaque. 

The level math you need to use isn't much more than basic arithmetic, a LITTLE geometry is about as hard as it gets, area and volume, EZ PZ.

Everything hydraulic is based on 3 things. Pressure, volume and area. PSI x Area = work force. How hard the ram can push.

Volume per second / cylinder volume = ram speed.

That's it, all three and how they interact. 

The only thing I'd like to know in advance is it's max psi rating and I don't see that on the plaque. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought of that too Steve but can't read the HZ on the plaque. I assumed that being available meant it was local to him and so running a generally compatible power. Changing voltage is just a matter of wiring the connection in the motor, the diagrams are on the plaque.

There are a couple of us here with hydraulics experience but we need more info to make meaningful suggestions or answer questions.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 11 months later...

I got to say i'm not a fan of frankinsteining hydraulics for presses unless ya got a good background in hydraulics,electrical and welding for safety,cost and performance concerns.That bein said if ya nail it there a great tool to have just don't go down the rabbit hole spending good money after bad.Speed of the ram is key imo when building a press...