I Forge Iron

What to do with cast iron scraps

Grouser

Now the United Nations manuals on Blacksmithing do mention heating mild steel up and a piece of cast iron as well and "smearing" the cast iron onto the mild steel to make a HC edge for edge tools; but just using automotive springs does a much better job of making edge tools that that would be a "desert island situation" type of method.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

that would be a "desert island situation" type of method.

Yeah and not only did nobody try that nobody hit a single piece of the steel I'd liberally scattered all over the shore in the RPG, "On The Beach." 

Bummer the only person who knows about that sort of thing killed himself off and didn't join the second game. 

Nobody's fault but mine, I'd never even played a online RPG and had no idea how difficult it is for players let alone the GM to make one work.

Still I would've liked to see someone maybe make a fish or hunting spear. Oh well. <sigh.> 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've read of the 19th century suggestion that wootz had been made by immersing a wrought iron billet into molten cast iron; but that has been proven not to be the case! 

I tried welding up a billet of cast and wrought iron  myself about 35 years ago, (with bad results.)   Do you remember the manual that suggested "pattern welding with cast iron" to make HC steel?

Back around 39  years ago I knew a MatSci professor who was using mild steel spheres  and casting a cast iron matrix around them and then soaking them to get a homogeneous carbon content.

I've wanted to try brake lathe dust and lathe swarf in a container weld.  Maybe throw in some powdered nickel for fun.