I Forge Iron

wood Knifes

M.J.Lampert

Sounds more impressive before you read the article to me. Sharper than a stainless steel table knife isn't as impressive as sharper than a steak knife. Compressing the wood to 23x it's original density sounds useful for many applications. 

I'd like to see a comparison done with Epoxy stabilized wood.

Interesting article regardless, Thanks for the link.

Frosty The Lucky.

Interesting.  Compressed wood has been around for awhile but removing the lignin, etc. may be a new twist.  There was no mention of whether this is possible on a commercial level.  As with many things, the process has to be cheaper than the value of the end product.

I do question the statement of "3 time sharper than a steak knife."  Sharpness is how thin an edge is.  Do they mean that the edge of steak knife is, say, .3 mm and the edge of the wooden knife is .1 mm?

That's the trouble with press releases and "popularized" articles, no actual data and broad, general statements.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The paragraph directly under the pic of the steak not being cut says they're 3x sharper than a SS "table knife." We have table knives that will cut a steak and our steak knives are at least 3x sharper. 

Press release lack of understanding. Bingo! George.

Frosty The Lucky.