I Forge Iron

Sputtering fucina forge

Aframe

A9FA6D0D-DE09-40C1-A46F-BC63DF6C1365.thumb.png.8e6b4de62f0df15218bfe739ccdb2df6.pngHi there. New member here. I was given a 3 burner fucina forge. I’m trying to run it with a 100lbs tank and a 30psi regulator. I can’t seem to get it to work correctly. I haven’t had this issue with other forges. Thank you in advance for any advice. 

Welcome aboard Aframe, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. Heck you could live within 10 minutes of me and I could probably tune your burners faster than writing this reply.

Sorry. Your burner is obviously burning very rich, do they have a choke? If so open the choke and let them breath. A pic of the forge showing the burner full length will be helpful. Don't bother showing us the regulator or a gage, unless you bought something inappropriate those pics are useless.

I'm assuming you have a 0-30psi regulator which is good. A 100lb. tank is excellent but doesn't effect how a burner performs until it's been running long enough to start freezing the propane and isn't an issue in a large tank.

Let's see what you have and we'll get it working.

One last thing. PLEASE NO VIDEOS! A jerky swooping out of focus video is useless compared to a good still like you posted. A still we can take a little time to evaluate. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty. I’m in the Denver area.   I’ve opened the choke on each burner to allow more oxygen and saw little to no change. I have the pressure set at just under 10psi in this photo. The friend who gave me this had the same problem apparently. This is also with the chokes more open. I had them open about 1/8” in the first photo.

0D4CA425-F789-4F7F-97F4-FD4D781D24C4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

That the flame is rich, but the burner is stuttering does narrow the possibilities a but. Why do I get the feeling that he has two problems; one a simple matter of adjustment, and the other will become clear as soon as he does that...

What is the second possible problem?

1 hour ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile.

Thanks. I missed that

21 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

The second photo I had the plates as far open as they go. Someone mentioned that I should try letting the forge heat up slowly before increasing gas flow. I’m going to give it a try tomorrow 

Now a pic in the opening so we can see the effect of the open chokes. 

If  you start trying everything everybody suggests you'll be bouncing all over the chart and when things change you won't know what did what.

A main rule of trouble shooting is change ONE thing at a time, then test the result and make notes. And take a pic when you test an adjustment so we can see and evaluate the results. 

Mike's a good burner guy and I'm not bad, we usually hash out different opinions without strife and both gain. 

Letting the forge heat up before turning up the gas pressure is a guess that isn't very likely to do anything.

Your problem at the moment is burners that are out of tune, they are NOT drawing enough combustion air to produce neutral flames. That problem has a limited number of probably causes, Mike and I will run through them in a logical order.

Mike's last suggestion is to test against back pressure. 

I shouldn't have mentioned another possibility earlier it's well down the list and trying to solve for it will confuse issues. My bad.

Frosty The Lucky.

the reason back pressure came to mind is that that is a pretty small forge with three LARGE burners; maybe you just have too much of a good thing :)

I like that is is an oval forge, but don't like the length to width ratio, which invites backpressure; add large burner size to the mix, " and  bubble, bubble, toil and trouble"?

So I worked late and was unable to do more testing. I did find out that the friend that gave this to me bored out the jets. I assume they will not work properly again. Any thoughts on whether I should continue to try to tune the burners as is or shop for new propane jets?

I would replace the jets. I had the same problem with our single burner forge. The kiln burner I was using had an orifice that measured .0625. I replaced the jet and settled on an orifice that was .038 and it made a world of difference. I can't suggest an orifice size for your three burners but I bet Frosty & Mikey98118 will have an idea. You might also contact Funica forges for advice on jets, they may have replacements.

Yeah, re-jet or modify so as to be able to, as suggested above. You see folks modifying equipment and machinery THEY don't know how to use or adjust resulting in real problems.

I couldn't tell from the pics and don't remember if you've said already. Is there an opening at the other end? If not then there is a real backpressure problem.

I'm leaning sharply towards needing to repair the jets. However shutting off burners as Mike suggested is a good idea.

You aren't on a time clock, test and take pics as you can, we'll be around. My biggest piece of general advice is to NOT get in a hurry. The only thing rushing to results ensures in mistakes WILL become permanent sooner.

Frosty The Lucky.

So I tried pulling a burner out and testing it this way. It would not stay lit without a flame being put to it. I also tried taking the choke plate off of one burner and only lighting that one. Immediate chimney effect. My buddy said he bored the jets out to the size the person at fucina said to. Both ends of the forge are completely open. Still stumped but not in a rush. 

EFC2E415-F659-41DB-B4EB-C26149FBFE16.jpeg

Amazing! That is one of the worst burner flames I've ever seen. Okay, time to give the best advice I can. In your case, I would use some of the parts from these burners to help build three good burners; or buy good burners. The forge you have is worthwhile, but those burners are just a case of one bad decision piled on another.

v

Good Morning I-Dragon,

The people that know about Jet Drills and Reams, are now 'Old School'. That was BC, (Before Computors). Yes, I have multiple sets of Jet drills, number & metric as well as Jet Reamers and Jet micrometer. I am the only one in our area who has, or even knows what they are used for. Yes, I am the Ol' Goat. The places of higher learning have completely dropped the topic of 'Carburetors' from the Automotive curriculum requirement for certification as a 'Red Seal Automotive Technician'. They no longer create Automotive Mechanic's only Technicians (parts replacers).

If a jet has been drilled, you need a drill set to see what size it is. I have a jet micrometer but you won't find another. If the jet is too large, sit it on a clean metal plate and solder it closed. Now, with your jet drill set and pin vice, you can drill it smaller.

Too much fuel makes too much 'Dragon Breath'. Not enough fuel or too much air, makes all kinds of problems.

Neil