I Forge Iron

Sputtering fucina forge

Aframe

I see a number of less than optimal features. Besides drilling the jet too large, the mixing tube is way too long and the flame holding flare is :blink:. . . Nevermind.

I'd build new burners. T burners are easy and require the minimum shop tools and skills. The plans are pinned in the burner section and I'm around to help you tune them if you have trouble.

If you want to try to get those to work, start with a 0.030" drill bit so you can work your way UP. It's easy to make a hole larger, making them smaller not so much. With that long a mixing tube 0.030" might be as good as it gets, I'd start over but I'm good at making propane burners, lots of practice. I have the drill bits, taps, mig tips, fittings, etc. in cigar boxes depending on burner size. 

The ones you have were almost undoubtedly re-drilled with a letter gauge drill bit without knowing WHICH gauge scale Fucina used in the manufacture. Even in SAE there are more than one letter gauge scales, It's why I MUCH prefer decimal fraction to gauge when measuring virtually anything. 

You can find decimal fraction wire feeler gauges at any decent tool store and most good auto supplies. Little drill bits are harder to find and more expensive. Personally I prefer to know what size hole to drill BEFORE buying the drill bit. I get undersized bits in the size I need, get a couple few, they break stupid easy.

There are lots of jets in a modern auto, more than when engines were carbureted.

Whatever you decide we'll do what we can to help get them working properly

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

So I drilled the orifices out and put in a plug. I adjusted the depth the price was sitting in the mixer tube and it seems to be working much better. I think it might need some fine tuning but it’s so much better. Thank you for all your help everyone!

4AA0AF5F-38AE-4E69-971B-7261081B936E.jpeg

I also picked up parts to make a manifold for a separate set of burners in case these get weird again.

BDB94CA6-6764-4F1A-B84A-6A7C00D51018.jpeg

The flame actually looks pretty orange to me. I’ll actually get something forged one night this week and see if I get a lot of scale. Thanks for the heads up. I do think it can be tuned a bit better but it’s miles from where I started with it

C507AAC6-A58D-4CF5-B8ED-AA16E1F6EEB8.jpeg

Frosty I figured you meant John at Fucina but thanks for the clarification

3 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

When I said John doesn't know much about propane forges, it was referring to John from Fucina forges

DOH:wacko: . . . obviously. I'll just sit here and slap my forehead for a while. <sigh>

The latest pic looks much better. It still looks pretty rich but getting close. Let us know how it works for you.

Once you get the burners tuned we'll help you fix that . . . less than optimal forge.

Frosty The Lucky.