I Forge Iron

Betty lamp patterns or templates

Biggun, that is the suspension hook just folded down into where the wick normally goes.  These are low volatility oil lamps which burn vegetable oil, whale oil, or animal fat.  They do NOT burn higher volatility oils like kerosene or commercial "lamp oil."  Using the latter can get overly exciting very quickly.  The same is true of the oil lamps of antiquity which are usually made of clay.

As far as I know the sheet iron or brass models were soldered together and the only forged element was the suspension hook.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Denis Frechette has a video about making a simple Betty lamp:

Video removed due to advertising

Kim Thomas's FB photos of one of his Betty lamps also show the same interior spout as in the OP, as well as both the hanging hook and an attached pick for trimming the wick:

No photo description available.

Kim comments:

The bottom is braised in the coal forge. [...] It’s not hard and it's just the edge. You hold the two pieces together drop a small piece of brazing rod inside, heat it up on the edges and when the brazing rods melts it runs right up the seam. So you just keep turning the piece and the braise follows the heat. You just have to keep adding new small pieces of brazing rod as you go until you have gone around the entire piece.

Thanks for the link John. It's a good tutorial about raising in general and applying it to a Betty lamp. 

Defining the bottom corner then creasing and upsetting them to reduce the diameter of the sides of the pan is a little different than I learned but the same none the less. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Funny; I had a fellow working on an iron age design grease lamp at the Guild Moot two weekends ago.  He was working cold and I was having trouble teaching over the noise; so I suggested he "borrow" some heat and work it hot---much faster and quieter!

I did my Viking era one out of soapstone...