I Forge Iron

Parker 974 1/2

yt12

Good day all-----thought I would pose this to the pros. I have a 974 1/2 with a repaired base plate---the 3 hole mounting plate, this is the swivel version----has had some iffy repair work done to it. As I look for a new one----will the plate from a 974 also work ?

Thanks in advance !!!!!!

yt

I thought this was a simple enough question for someone w working experience w Parkers,hence my asking a vise question on a vise forum-----wasnt asking a soul to do anything too taxing,just whether anyone had any practical experience----doubt a "picture" would help anyone--nor would a snarky answer.

Ok, but consider that the person on IFI who has the answer you're looking for only stops by occasionally. Providing some additional information (or a picture.... we like pictures...) might allow a greater portion of the hive mind to offer solutions for you.

Or you can add a snarky response to what you think is a snarky answer and get nowhere... I don't think taking a picture is particularly taxing either... Worst case scenario you don't get a response from the vise section of a blacksmithing forum and you go to a dedicated tool repair forum and ask there.

Good luck.

Glenn----thank you for the reply. No one appreciates the photos of projects/purchases/repairs/success/failures more than me---so photos are on the list---as are measurements and dimensions. Perhaps I should have stated that I have seen photos of both the 974 and the 974 1/2 swivel base---and as the least experienced Parker restorer-----they "look/appear/seem" identical. This is why I reached out for anecdotal feed back----No one appreciates it more when someone is looking for help w a tool/blower/power hammer/forge----and gets the iforgeiron book answer----there are really some experts here-----I also appreciate the Joe Dokes answer-----hey,I tried that myself,works like a charm.....or,forget it---its a no go.......thanks again.

A quick google image search for "Parker 974 vise and Parker 974 1/2 vise" lead to a bunch of images.  Another search for "difference between a Parker 974 vise and a Parker 974 1/2 vise" and a search for "Parker vises 974" had some rabbit holes to follow.  There were several hits on vise restoration.

• 4 weeks later...

fwiw------well, a kind soul and 974 owner elsewhere was able to put tape to metal-----the 974 base has an inner rail that mates to the vise body and weighs in at 7 inches----the 974 1/2 is 7 1/2-----so a no-go for a match-----oh well,I can live with the wonky repair till I find a match-----now to find the screw collar..........

• 1 month later...