I Forge Iron

Electric blower question

Dueldor

Hi all. I am currently building my first forge and I’m having a hard time finding a blower that I like for it. With my setup I am running 1-1/2” pipe into the ribbon burner. I found a couple blowers but one is only 75 cfm and then the next one up jumps to 272 cfm. Nothing in between. Thoughts? Forge is a 20# LP cylinder.

[Commercial links removed]

Edited by Mod34
Commercial links removed per TOS

I put together a little spreadsheet a few years ago to try to show the relationship between airflow and fuel consumed. I was having a discussion with a smith who thought he wanted a bigger blower, but actually needed a higher-pressure blower.

I don't think I have ever personally seen a forge actually using more than about 20 CFM of air outside of a "proper industrial" setting (Furnaces you could park a small car in and fork-lift trucks with hydraulic "hands" for manipulating the billets). 20 CFM will use a full 47 kg or 100lb Propane cylinder within an 8-hour day.

I'm hoping it attaches. On the spreadsheet, the wide range of each fuel consumed for any given airflow is because I have taken the limits as complete stoichiometric combustion to Carbon Dioxide, CO2, and combustion to Carbon Monoxide, CO. We tend to run somewhere within this range (though running even richer on Propane for Heat-Treating is something that some of the bladesmiths do). 

I would hazard a guess that the smaller blower you are looking at has a 2" outlet and that the bigger one has at least a 3" outlet? If you are reducing the cross-sectional area to a 1 1/2" diameter, you will only get the proportional flow: 1 1/2" is 3/4 of 2", so the CSA of the 1 1/2" pipe is 9/16 that of the (assumed) 2" blower outlet and your maximum possible flow will be 9/16 x 75 CFM= 42 CFM. That would use between 13 and 18 pounds of Propane per hour.

If the 272 CFM blower has a 3" outlet, the 1 1/2" pipe will have 1/4 the CSA and 1/4 x 273 = 68 CFM maximum possible flow through 1 1/2" dia. 21-30 lbs of Propane per hour.

Obviously I am wildly guessing at the sizes, but if you have the links to the blower details you can probably get the information to do the calculation yourself more accurately.

Also bear in mind that if your total burner port area is less than the pipe CSA, that will become the minimum area. If you are using fittings to get the fuel gas to the middle of the airstream, that might be your minimum area. Likewise if you have a baffle plate in the plenum.

In reality, the flow-proportional-to-area values are still hugely optimistic because the CFM rating of a blower is based on zero pressure loss on inlet or outlet. Since we pipe the outlet to the burner, there are significant pressure losses as a result of friction in the pipe and these will reduce the flow.

The main point I am trying to make is that the CFM rating of a blower, which is often the ONLY information provided by the manufacturer/seller, is not a useful piece of information for us.

It's a bit like trying to select a vehicle for snow-plowing when the only information you have access to is the maximum speed. 

If the spreadsheet does attach successfully and anyone with any understanding of Chemistry wants to sanity-check it, I'd appreciate it: I could be completely wrong and I'd rather know.

Calculation of heat produced and fuel used by burning with air.ods

• 1 month later...

Ok so I found my blower. Now I just need to find a reducer from the blower to my piping. 2-3/4” od of blower to 2” od of piping. Anyone have suggestions on where I might find a suitable reducer? Or possibly another option? Thanks for all the input everyone!

You might find a suitable exhaust pipe reducer at an auto supply store or a vent reducer from an HVAC supply house. However, you could probably do just fine with some thin sheet steel bent to shape and screwed in place. Mock it up with cardboard first, and that will give you a good pattern for cutting the steel.

• 1 month later...

I used matress inhaler pump today and I found it useless. It have some regulation of speed how it blows air but it dont have switch to turn on or of  and I found my bellows to be dozens time better solution.

To be honest even with hradphones for noise I get lost by that sound of working blower.

Every new tool takes some time to get used to and mattress inflators aren't the best forge blower. If you like your bellows then use it until you have to change. I wouldn't stop trying different things something better might be waiting next. 

Don't worry though, there are other things mattress inflators are good for.

Frosty The Lucky.