I Forge Iron

Post vise markings

Haywood71

On post vise, more important than the maker is the size, quality and completeness. Most important are the screw and screw box as those are hardest to repair or fabricate. 

Maker is useless if the screw and box are wrecked. Can you get pictures of them? Mainly the screw wound out. Kinda hard to see inside the screw box but it can be done. But if the screw is wrecked, the box probably is too. 

I was going to mention the bracket, hardware and spring being missing but i relooked and saw them on the side. 

Looks like the jaws meet up fairly evenly. It has has a fair amount of use but if the screw and box are good, it has many years of life left in it.

Most post vise were not marked. Some markings could even have been put there by a previous owner.

In my opinion there are good ones and bad ones depending on condition, and big and small ones depending on the work you expect out of it. 

First thing is I would want to see a picture of the screw. 

Hard to specify as there were so many makers; the ones I have had with dates had unbeveled legs so even that doesn't help. Often they have a weight stamp in pounds on them.  In general the maker of a postvise has little to do with it's usability.  How wide are the jaws on it?

Screw and box look decent. 

Most Columbians I've seen had a cast logo on the top of the mount plate. Anything on that? In the picture showing it its covered by the spring. 

I do have a wagon tongue vise stamped columbian across the front jaw tho. 

I have a columbian mount plate from a scrap bin beside the vise it was to at an estate auction. The vise was welded to a 500+lb. welding table. I couldn't haul the table and negotiated with the buyer for just the vise, for more than he paid, but he said it was his grandfathers setup and wanted it as it was. No argument from me on that.  I won the scrap pile and wound up with the mount plate. Anyway, it is just like Arkies.

Here's the stamping on the wagon tongue vise incase it helps.  I almost think I see something above the year date on one photo but not sure.

20180812_210151.thumb.jpg.908f2ede5746530f4afabe17166a6851.jpg

I've had a Columbian with the full stamping on the back of the stationary jaw; Columbian, Cleveland Ohio, etc. I sold it on as it was in mint shape and I'd feel bad about messing it up with use. Looked to have been drop forged.

I have also seen mounting plates with a depressed triangle and raised C in it like their logo on anvils.

21 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Most Columbians I've seen had a cast logo on the top of the mount plate. Anything on that? In the picture showing it its covered by the spring. 

Nothing on top but on the bottom it has a 2. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight. Thanks everyone.