I Forge Iron

I ordered the wrong size steel

Houjous

I bought a few blanks (12"x1.5"x.125") the other day to make a knives just to find out I run out of material super quick when drawing out the blade. What would a good size blank should I start with? Also any ideas what I should use these blanks for?

fair enough. (12" = x, 1.5" =y, .125" = z) I was intending to make the Y the same distance, X was going to drop to 4" or so, and Z becomes to thin while I'm forming the blade. beyond those statements I'm not sure what sizes your still looking for.

Basically 12"x1.5"x.125" is given as a start but you don't tell us if you are trying to make a 3"x1.5"x .125"  or if you want to make a 16"x2"x.125". Or some other size.

In general if I plan to forge a blade I start at least .25" thick allowing me some "meat" for distal tapering and beveling the blade.  The length is dependent on how much tapering I plan to do and that is generally based on experience.  Back in the old Neo Tribal Metalsmiths days the goal was to have 10% or *under* stock removal done after forging.

.125" stock would be excellent stock removal stock to practice your grinding or filing skills to make stock removal blades and practice your heat treating too.

Personally I'd just do stock removal with that size stock.  You just don't have enough excess thickness to move the metal around much and you will lose some material due to scale and grinding out errant hammer marks.  I like at least 1/4" thick stock to start with.  Others may have their own preferences.

Looks like TP already beat me to it.