I Forge Iron

Tire hammer build questions

Hi all, 

I purchased Clay Spencer’s plans for the Clontz tire hammer and I am currently collecting parts and studying the plans. I have some questions and I’m sure as I go along I will have more questions so I will post them here. Hopefully this helps me and any others to build the hammer. 
So first I need to find material for the anvil. I would prefer not spending the money for new. I’ve heard rail yards might be a source, any other suggestions? 
Also the crankpin in the plans calls for a 1” bolt but when I see builds online I never see the bolt threads coming through the pillow block on the front of the hammer. Are people changing the part and using 1” shaft instead of a bolt? Using a bolt in a bearing seems odd to me. Or am I missing something completely. Thanks 

As far as an anvil, call some metal fabrication shops. Often they might have drops or leftover stock they may be willing to sell at a fair price And the best part,  it is typically marked as to what it is so you might luck into something much better suited as an anvil. Salvage yards would likely have something suitable for the anvil. 

I used 1 inch shaft. But I built mine the hard way without any plans. Never had a set of plans because I couldn't find them online at the time.

Guessing a bolt is used because it would be easier to line up.

I don't recommend using 5 inch pipe crammed full of  1 inch rebar for an anvil but I wanted to get the project done, since then I acquired some 5 inch by 30 inch round bar that i'll replace it with.

The 1" bolt is just used as a shaft, the threaded portion gets cut off. I assume Clay picked that grade of 1" bolt to allow for more shear force on the shaft, which is important if you want to put a lot of time in forging with the hammer. Also using a bolt makes it easier to weld it perfectly perpendicular to the flywheel by threading a nut and washers on before hand. 

For the anvil, probably the most readily available to anyone material would be 1/2" plate. Cut to size and stack it up to weld. 

I also built a tire hammer without any plans, so specific questions about that design I can't help with.  However, for the anvil I acquired quite a bit of 3/4" thick by 6 inch wide steel.  I'm only part way through the anvil creation, but when done I'll have 8 pieces with full perimeter welds to give me a 6x6" anvil 30 inches tall.  I was fortunate enough to obtain this steel for a little over scrap price from an acquaintance who does a lot of junking and knows to look for certain things for me.  I would not have wanted to purchase the steel new right now.

• 2 months later...

IronChef

Could you provide me with the contact information you used for your Clay Spencer tire hammer plans ?

I have sent several messages to Clay and am not getting any response back ?

The contact information I found on varies other web sites and forums are all several years old, like back in 2017 and later and not sure if it is still good information as I have not received any responses ?

I'd really appreciate some current information on contacting him.

Thanks 

Bob Smith