I Forge Iron

Harris cutting torch regulator problem

Geezak

I have a set of Harris regulators on a cutting torch and both are completely closed but when I open the supply valves both gauges peg out.  I removed both and blew them out and made sure nothing was in there and still the same problem.  I'm new to all of this and have a great deal of respect for the equipment since it could easily....... BLOW UP!  Common sense tells me there is a spring in there but if that was bad, it wouldn't open.  When i unscrew the knob it just comes off, i can depress the little metal piece in front of the spring without a problem.  This tells me its not seating at all, which doesn't make sense to this challenged wanna-be metal guy.  I'm just wondering if this is something that can easily be fixed or should I get a pro involved?   

#1 mistake and most likely your problem. By "closed" I take it you screwed the adjustment knob clockwise to the stop. Yes? If so you OPENED them all the way. Screw them COUNTER CLOSKWISE until you can't feel any resistance and open the tank valves. SLOWLY and watch the gauges. Once open with the gauges reading zero slowly screw the adjusters clockwise till the desired line pressure is set. Then with the torch lit do a final adjustment.

Never NEVER stand in front of the adjustment screws when you open the tank valves! It may be rare but sometimes a regulator failure can cause the adjustment screw to blow out like a bullet. 

If there IS a problem, contact Harris, they stand behind their products. If you don't know enough to trouble shoot your regulators is is NO WAY SAFE for you to attempt rebuilding them. Heck I'd be surprised if a citizen CAN buy a rebuild kit beyond Orings.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying for years to find o-rings for my Craftsman small torch set (my favorite one) made by Harris and no one will sell them separately due to liability issues (I am told). Out of a half dozen companies I have contacted, they all require the units to be sent in and refurbished by them. All of the minimum estimates I was quoted, start at $75US and can go up from there to equal or exceed the cost of buying a new replacement. I finally found a company that will test and replace o-rings/gaskets called soft parts for a quote of $35US in Oklahoma City and they also restore old engine driven arc welders. Their web site shows some amazing work on those old machines and states women owned. I had a very good feeling after talking with Becky so I packed up the set and sent it on it's way. If you are interested in that type of stuff search for Bills welding equipment repair OKC OK.

Randy, if the repair shop you found in OK is the one I'm thinking about, the folks over on the welding web who have had repair work done by them, recommend them highly..... A search on the forum would confirm the work the guys have had done.

I had a problem with my  Harris oxy regulator leaking. I was told it might be because i didn't bleed off the pressure after i was done using the torch for the day. I was told that leaving pressure in the lines for long periods of time can cause damage to the diaphragm and cause it to leak. I'm not sure if that's true but i now relieve the pressure when I'm done with the torches for the day.

If it's JUST the Orings say on the tank fitting or between tips and handle I had them made up at the local rubber supplier. Bring one in and tell them it's for propane and they fixed me up in about 10 minutes but I watched and talked so it probably shouldn't have taken so long.

No need to get fancy, close the tank valve, open the valves on the handle, then if you wish back the regulator adjustment screw out until you stop feeling the diaphragm. 

Do NOT leave the valves on the handle open! If you forget and open the tank valves the torch will be squirting flammable gas and even worse oxygen in your work space. This is a badness thing.

Frosty The Lucky.