I Forge Iron

Anvil thieves !

TWISTEDWILLOW

Martha learned to fight and defend herself when she was growing up in Honolulu (her brother graduated from high school with Barack Obama).  In the '60s one of the favorite sports of some Native Hawaiians was beating up Haoles (whites).  So, Martha, as a girl, learned to run and fight.

Later in life she became a black belt in tae kwon do and when I told the Master the sword story (she never bragged on herself) he used it on other students as an example of "indomitable will."

Yes, she was a remarkable person, small and quiet but with steel under the velvet.

I always thought that Martha with 30" of Toledo steel and blood covering her face (from the head wound from the hand mirror) was scarier than Martha with a gun.  Most of us, as kids, have played with toy guns and had them pointed at us but few have been threatened at sword point.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One last detail to the sword story;  When a friend of ours told the story to her family in Hope, AR thinking her father and grandfather who had both been in law enforcement would be interested her grandmother asked, "Is Wyoming so dangerous that women have to carry swords?"

Yes, yes it is. (Along with much of the world.  There would be much less violence against women if they all carried swords and were prepared to use them.)

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The sword is a weapon designed for killing; period.

Not going to retell my attempted home invasion countered by a  Nude Berserk  armed with a spear; it's been told here several times already.

Perhaps they expect people to not protect themselves and when they do it's a "somethings wrong here!" situation for them.

My SiL was a LEO in NW AR; after visiting us he gave my wife and I a pump shotgun saying "You are too far from town, the sound of racking in a load is generally enough to discourage folks and if not; well you are ready for them."

I still have my spear...

On 9/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

Here were I’m at it’s more like an hour away, usually when you call for help it’s gonna be awhile because there’s not that many sheriffs deputy’s to cover the county so most people stay pretty well armed, 

A friend of mine held caught some crackheads trying to steal a JD gator at 4am out side the milk barn, apparently they didn’t realize that dairy farmers are up early and already working, so he walked up behind them with a 12g and made them get on the ground and wait until deputies arrived,

laying face down on the ground outside of a milk barn isn’t the most comfortable or best smelling spot lol 

Might check with local hospitals before he considers doing it though. It's been tried by randy farm boys and the results tend to be permanent disfigurement if they can't get it shut off quickly enough.

The controls aren't within reach of the milking cluster, not even close. The claw shuts off any cups that aren't on a teat so the one cup gets the full power of the pump. It's never the experience a teen's fantasy imagines. 

An old dairy farmer told a couple stories when I was a kid and his son backed them. I was NEVER tempted.

Check with a hospital local to farm country.

Frosty The Lucky.

Speaking of Darwin Awards, my emt friend told me about responding to a home we’re the crackheads didn’t pay the power bill and of course the power company came out and pulled the meter, so the crackheads decided to try and shove something in the meter box to make contact and bring the power back on, it was a 200 amp meter and it ended with a less than pretty pickup for the ems 

I was a pipe test station inspector for a while, the things I've seen. One house had (evidentally) a toilet that was stopped up on one side of the house, so They went in the yard outside, #2's and all. The other side of the house had the kitchen and the kitchen garbage went out the window on the grass everywhere. The other side had a electric meter that was removed by the electric company and They took Their wire off of it. So the people ran their own wire off the transformer and it went inside through a window. I did not get close to anything there.

I had some friends in Kansas City that had bought an enormous old house in a sketchy area.  They told me they had lived in it two years before finding out that it didn't have dirt floors---on the second story...A previous tenant hadn't paid the gas bill and had the gas locked off; when the next winter came that had hauled slabs of concrete up into the rooms and built open fires in an old wood framed house for heat.

I stayed with them one year when the Knifemaker's guild show was in KC; they told me to keep an ear open for people trying to break into my vehicle. When I pointed out I didn't have any distance weaponry with me they leant me a quiver of Roman throwing javelins---they did armour and weapons for the SCA....luckily even the locals didn't find a battered 1968 ex phone company van tempting.