I Forge Iron

Video of Industrial sized forging

I don't know your experience level, so say this as a general comment.

The thing to notice with these industrial forgings is that the only difference in this and what you can do in your shop is the power and size of the iron. The techniques and tooling used used to achieve the different forgings are no different than what you would use in your shop.

The benefit here is with such large iron, and the time frame due to the mass of the billit allows us to see just what techniques and tooling are used.

On this large of a scale it does make it easier to see what's going on. The butchering dies they were using to form several diameters along the shaft in the first 2 minutes or so are exactly like those you would put in a guillotine tool for making tenons.

I'm guessing they use a lot of H series tool steels in that plant...

I'm sure the guys in the latter half of the video the end have some sweat running down their face. You can also see there are (and I'm stating the obvious here) safety procedures they're following while working around the hammer. For example the guy around 5:30 keeps his tongs flat on the "anvil" lets go of the piece every time the hammer is about to come down. A similar precaution is taken (letting go of the handle) with the guy around 7:30.

I think it's safe to say if the reins/handle jump in an unexpected way he would loose the battle of competing forces.

I thought the same thing about it being identical to what we do in our home forges, but with MUCH larger presses and bits of hot metal lol. One of the follow up videos showed a 17000 ton press doing work.

I just thought it was neat to see and a couple other videos pop up with that one showing other large scale forging I thought to myself "that's cool".