I Forge Iron

Purchased My First Anvil - Help with ID

I have been looking for an anvil for quite some time. Tonight I found one on Facebook marketplace that was in my small town and seemed to be priced right. $200 later and now it’s mine.

Can anyone help me ID it? It is stamped with “U.S.A.” On one side. On the base under the horn it is stamped “T 91” and “A22230”. I can’t find any other markings.

55222DA1-7DC8-4F22-B0DD-FF98C69BCD09.jpeg

5966C65C-746A-445D-AAE9-21F246AD7527.jpeg

5104B42A-9B7C-4948-8DED-EBE78F0F533C.jpeg

DB168931-711D-4405-938C-E5B94D539049.jpeg

6BF81CE3-ACD3-429C-A56B-E27E43AF8336.jpeg

BC43FA08-CDCD-469B-A5F0-05D5361E6618.jpeg

865934A1-7514-4871-900B-82D535806E27.jpeg

Nice score! If you take pics with the light at an oblique angle, one side or the other and nearly parallel to the surface, features like stampings will show up much better. The Trenton diamond will show easily, what hasn't been obscured with hammer marks.

She looks to be in really good condition. SWEET! :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I don’t have any ball bearings, so I have not done a ring and rebound test yet. I did however know not to grind, mill, or weld on the hardened face.

I’m hoping someone has an Anvils in America book handy and can date it for me. If not, I’ll be hitting up the local libraries.

The stand it is on came with the anvil. It adds quite a bit of weight and is very secure to the anvil. Anyone see any issues with leaving it on this stand? It is quite tall, I may need to cut some of the height out of it.

As for the heigth, you will want to make it the right height for you and the work you will do on it. There are atleast a few good threads on that here if you want a better idea than my less than efficiently caffeinated ramblings this morning. :lol:

Under further inspection unless there are some markings that have disappeared, one side has the diamond with Trenton inside and U.S.A. below it and the only other markings are on the foot T 91 and A22230. I haven’t been able to look at the underside of the anvil. 
I appreciate everyone’s help.

Jesse, the Inter Library Loan program is your friend.  ILL can provide you with books from all over the US and Europe.  I once got something from the Library of the University of Aberdeen, Scotland.  As valuable as the internet is for some things you cannot replace good old print books, particularly for obscure topics.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Here in rural New Mexico the tiny public library was easily able to get me a book through ILL that I had had on a book search on Amazon for TEN YEARS with no luck!  ("The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons", Tylecote & Gilmour---why it's not on the best seller list I will never know!)

If your local library didn't suggest ILL when you ask them about it I would inquire *WHY* *NOT*?

• 4 weeks later...