I Forge Iron

Is this good?

Dillion Brian Grant

It looks to be missing the screw box and the screw is shot. As is it's not functional, though what is there looks to be okay. Unfortunately the hard to find and expensive parts are the screw and screw box. $150 is a fantasy asking price.

Any kind of smithing tools are really hard to come by here so I'd maybe offer $50 max for parts. But that's scarce in Alaska thinking.

Don't take my thoughts to seriously though I'm don't know your area at all. I'm sure someone closer will offer an opinion on the $.

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

It looks to be missing the screw box and the screw is shot. As is it's not functional, though what is there looks to be okay. Unfortunately the hard to find and expensive parts are the screw and screw box

Yeah I thought I recalled from the little bit of time I was able to use a post vice at somebodys home forge during a NCABANA meeting that there were things missing on this one sad that the parts missing are the hardest to get parts 

It is but the jaws look good. The mounting plate, spring bale and wedges are too easy to make to be worth more than a couple bucks. A few decades ago I spent $175 on a 6" Columbian and air freighted it to Alaska. That's how hard it is to find smithing tools here I even lucked out, I didn't know didly about leg vises and the screw is in decent condition. I air freighted my 4" leg vice up to as part of a significant stash, 1,200lbs worth of smithing kit. 

I'd keep looking but tell him it's non functional without the screw and box but leave him your number if it sits long enough he might make it worth picking up. Be nice but honest about it. You never know he might just want it gone. What is there is worth having if the price is right. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

It is but the jaws look good. The mounting plate, spring bale and wedges are too easy to make to be worth more than a couple bucks.

Sadly on his post he says the vise works fine so I doubt there's any luck there

What parts do I need to look for so I can make a more educated guess for the next one? 

The screw and screw box condition are about the biggest factor in a post vise. The rest can more easily be repaired or remade more easily. 

The one pictured is missing the original screw and box. Looks like it was replaced with some other kind of wind screw and nut, and as Frosty mentioned, it's basically unusable as is. 

When looking at the screw you'll want to see that the threads are uniformly square. If they look like this _/\_/\_/\_/\_  like modern threads, they are more worn out.  

If possible check that the screw winds in and out uniformly as well. 

Also check that the jaws line up.  Any worn or missing parts add to price reduction since it'll take time and effort to repair or replace them. 

As pictured that vise would be lucky to get $40. From me as parts or a future project. 

Excellent evaluation Das, well said! These are the kind of points to look for Dillion, you don't want to be "guessing." Talk to him, his post is just an ad, time to begin negotiations, you have the ammunition of knowledge. No need to be timid or overly concerned with hurting his feelings. He probably doesn't know a good leg vise from "Miami Vice."

The seller MAY be able to open and close the jaws but those appear to be common bolt threads and a nut, designed to tighten and stay tight. They are NOT acme threads, it's a Mickey Mouse repair. You aren't guessing and say so. $40 is a generous offer for a parts vise. If he stands on his asking, walk away. Leave your number though, he may come around after a while. You never know. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

He probably thought it was mint condition and was going to bring him $$$; like buying a used car to flip and finding it had been in a poorly repaired major wreck.  At flea markets when dealers counter my offer with "You can't buy one for that!" I often go back by and show them the ones I have bought at or below my offer.  (Why I really miss the flea market in Columbus OH, it was held in a working drive in theater; so everything had to be packed up and hauled out at the end of the market.  Besides keeping prices lower I have sometimes hauled out of the dumpster tools I had offered US$5 for earlier!)

Relax Dillion. Just because he didn't like being told his leg vise isn't as valuable as he thinks doesn't make him a bad guy. Just move on. 

You'll also get along better with old geezers if you stop addressing them as Dude and I can guarantee your impression of respectful doesn't meet older folks idea. 

Don't explain anything, it's not your fault it's just how things have been as long as young critters have interacted with older ones. 

Frosty The Lucky.

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Relax Dillion. Just because he didn't like being told his leg vise isn't as valuable as he thinks doesn't make him a bad guy. Just move on. 

I had not addressed him as that I only said it for the post you found out first hand when I was just starting i say sir a little to much

And I was calling him an xxxxxxx cause he started cursing me out lol

Ahh, I've been cursed by cranky old geezers when my counter didn't please them. If they're really ornery I might walk away laughing. There's a difference between thinking of people as "dudes" and sirring them all the time. Saying sir too often is a sign of insecurity even if you're not, it's how it looks. The problem with even thinking of people in diminutive terms like "dude" is it comes across. People hear and read more than the words we say and they WILL sense the lack of respect, even if it's not consciously. 

Here's a perfect example, next time you're talking on the phone smile. The person on the other end of the line will feel it and like you better. If you scowl they'll know you're angry and you won't get the cooperation you might be hoping for. 

Sounds crazy but it's true.

You might want to stop using xxxxxxx, a moderator might gig you for it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah, 30 is still young enough to think with the emotions, he's probably embarrassed he got taken. Oh well, there are plenty more tools out there.

Looks like we both got exxxed for language. That'll teach me. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.