Welding cart/torch stand for my oxy-propane rig

JHCC

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It takes a while to adjust from oxy acet to oxy prop, they run very different ratios. It won't take long and it'll get better, LOTS. You'll be amazed how low you can set a flame and still heat faster than oxy acet does.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I never used oxy-acetylene at all, so at least there’s nothing to unlearn!

Victor and weld.com have some good videos about using oxy-propane, so I am relying on those for some flame-adjustment guidance. 

The easiest mistake to make is too much propane. You want to see the nice short primary combustion cones on each nozzle, no secondary zone, the opaque feathery flames the tertiary envelope should be dark blue and transparent. 

Sorry if that's unhelpful, I could show you in 20 seconds in person but I have what I have to try and help. Demoing my torch wouldn't do any good it adjusts WAY differently than the modern videos show. 

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

You want to see the nice short primary combustion cones on each nozzle, no secondary zone, the opaque feathery flames the tertiary envelope should be dark blue and transparent. 

I just ran across the following on Welding Web:

The flame can be judged based on the shape and color of the inner primary flame (or flames for a rosebud). When the primary flame is long and has a feathered border, it's reducing. As the primary flame becomes short and well-defined, it is neutral. The oxidizing flame looks really similar to a neutral flame, except the difference is that the oxidizing flame will have a slightly shorter primary flame and the primary flame will become a brighter/lighter (whiter) color blue.

How's that sound to you?

That sounds about right, certainly close enough to work from as a departure point. 

On my oxy prop rig you can hear it, especially as it starts leaning out, it goes from a neutral SHHHH to a hiss then gets breathy almost whistling. If you're heating something big the rosebud literally shrieks and loudly. That's my 1980s Allstates rig though. The new Allstates rigs are much different and since I had my oxy regulator repaired mine might not be anymore. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That's the whistle and under the conditions I remember. The "star" pattern he showed by placing a properly tuned torch close to the plate matches what mine does as well. 

I should get a full tank of oxy and practice a bit, it's been a while. I still don't know if it's any real help basing advice on a torch that's probably only vaguely like yours. 

I was taken with the last thing the Victor rep said at the end of the video. That with the right tips he could do anything with a multi fuel torch an acet torch will except weld. 

That's a BIG Ten Four!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, Frosty said:

I know you want to use a soft flame but that's pretty rich.

One of the difficulties with adjusting the flame while the rig is in torch mode is that the pilot light is adding propane without adding oxygen. 

The pilot flame has nothing to do with the adjustment on the torch handle or do you have it plumbed in a strange way? 

The pilot flame should be reducing the volume of propane to the torch if it has any effect.

Frosty The Lucky.

The pilot flame does not affect and is not affected by the amount of gas flowing to the torch. What I'm saying is that when the torch is clipped into its bracket (that is, when the stand is in torch mode), the flame is directed over the pilot light so that it will ignite when the pedal is depressed and the gas saver valves open. What this means is that even when the flame at the torch is perfectly tuned, it's picking up the flame from the pilot light, which makes the flame appear more rich than it actually is. Does that make sense?

• 4 weeks later...

Having gotten tired of trying to find the right pages in the Victor instruction manual both for lighting and shutdown procedures and for adjusting the pressure settings, I decided to extract the relevant info, add specifics for my own setup, put it all on one sheet of paper (both sides), put that sheet in some kind of transparent sleeve, and hang it off the stand for easy reference. No more misreading off the oxyacetylene chart!

A6405E6D-3B2E-4EBA-B77E-C3568FF4DC99.jpeg

1B75B90B-040A-4141-9C18-B98383AAEA6A.jpeg

Did I miss anything or get anything out of order in the procedures?

(I didn't include "Connect hoses to torch, tanks, and gas saver, and install proper torch tip." Even I don't need a reminder on that.)

Off Site Storage is great IF they still have it and you have a week or so to get it.  

An extra copy in the shops log book is great.  The log book starts when you have several of the extra copies that need gathered together in one place so you can find them.

Early on I put a copy of the rods I usually used on each welder, the amp setting, AC or DC, etc and covered it with clear tape for protection.  Some amp settings are now crossed out and a better number is listed.   You would be surprised how many times you check that list just to be sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

The 60 cu. ft tank having proved too small, I decided to upgrade to a 120.

A0D913E0-89C4-4935-8B6D-DDA646A93575.jpeg

Since it’s a good bit taller than the 60, I’ll have to tweak my technique a bit when using the gas saver, either with more of an up-and-over movement to get to the pilot light or simply by working from the other side of the cart.

9D716897-8C20-4F73-9444-3565E94A361C.jpeg

Torch mode is unaffected:

075F5548-BEF9-4EEF-81C2-6CAF685FBC9F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

It's occurred to me that the existing torch mode setup won't work if I want to use a brazing/spot heating tip, as those nozzles are much shorter than the rosebud. I think I might want to figure out a dual-height mounting bracket if I end up using the torch with the shorter tips.

I'm also contemplating switching the position of the tanks, so that the oxygen would be at the far end of the dolly from the pedal and the propane would be in the middle. That would eliminate the need for an up-and-over motion when using the gas saver, but it would shift the center of gravity somewhat. Need to think about this.