I Forge Iron

Wagon Wheels

Randy Griffin

I bought a couple of WI wagon wheel tires at a yard sale a couple of summers ago for $10 each; they're about 42" in diameter, and the tires themselves are about 3/8" thick x 3" wide. I also got a trio of tires from someone who was cleaning out their dead parent's house and was just giving stuff away; they're about 48" in diameter and 1/4" thick x 1" wide.

As you say, it all depends on how badly you want them. I haven't used the little ones yet, but a chunk of one of the big ones became the display-only Viking sword I made for my friend's husband. I'm glad I had it on hand for the special commission.

As "decorator" pieces they run high; I've seen several used for lights that are priced at several hundred dollars.   If you can find just the tyres they can go cheap to even free! as the "association" of them as "antiques" may be broken.  My usual buys are free to 20 UScents a pound scrapyard price to US$5 at yard sales.  Note that not all tyres are WI; I have a buggy tyre I bought that was mild steel---making bottle openers from it with the cachet that it's a piece of local history!

At the scrapyard I often find items that were made from tyres as it seems to have been a common material to reuse, especially as the transition from horse drawn to motorized occurred combined with the great depression. So I don't look just for the "circles" I look for the curved face on such items.

Prices in my area are about what's listed here. Bigger tires plus wheel, 4' tall, 3-4" wide and 3/8" -1/2" thick up to $100. I've been given 4 of the big thick wide tires from folks this last year who knew I still add them to my scrap pile.