I Forge Iron

Removing scale

SinDoc

I once had the Police called on me for running a powerhammer after 9pm in a neighborhood of homes. (I had let the time get away from me.)  I immediately shut it down and apologized and then spent the next hour talking with the cops about forging knives. Note this was in the mid 1980's so pre FiF!  Now they probably would have asked to try it...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thomas, I live in a very rural part of Oklahoma(no neighbors closer than half mile and they were kin). During the summer I used to go to bed when I got home then get up and forge on knives with my power hammers from ten until three or so then nap till five and go to work. One day a coon hunter stopped by looking for his dog. My wife talked to him and he asked what we did at night to make so much noise!! That’s the only “complaint “ I’ve ever got. 

My Mother is from a town that isn't any more down near Altus, growing up she told me her nearest neighbor was over a mile and the nearest with kids was more like 3 miles.  She was born on the farmhouse kitchen table and the Dr forgot to file a birth certificate for her---only became a problem when she tried to get a passport.  Of course they didn't have electricity, well except for a wind charger that charged big glass lead acid batteries so they could listen to the radio.

Yes Thomas! We have all kinds of family stories! My dad had to get a birth certificate when he got ready to retire. The family Bible said he was born September second and his school record said the first! He was born in a canvas topped clapboard shack. My grandpa was an itenerant Assembly of God preacher. They built churches in various Oklahoma towns. I even have a sister who lives in Altus! What town was your mom born at??

Humphreys is an unincorporated community in Jackson County, Oklahoma, United States. It is located eight miles south of Altus. (Wikipedia)

Used to be a town, now even the cotton gin is shut down and the trees growing up through the ruins of the school my Mother attended are big enough to log!  We try to visit the graveyard when we go through OK with my Mom.  A couple of her great uncles lived in soddies out there.

Back in the 1960's when she was getting her first passport they managed to find a still living uncle who could attest that she was born and was who she said she was.  Mother always keep her passport current so she didn't have to re-do it from scratch as her uncle passed away a couple of years after she got her first one.

A flash flood nearly destroyed Frazer on June 4, 1891. The residents moved to higher ground 2.5 miles (4.0 km) east of the original site. W. R. Baucum suggested renaming the town "Altus", a Latin word meaning "high". This name stuck, although the town was also known as "Leger" from July 10, 1901, to May 14, 1904

Altus Arkansas had its start in 1875 when the railroad was extended to that point.[4] Altus station was the highest point on the track. In recognition of this highest railroad elevation between Little Rock and Fort Smith, the station was originally known as "Summit". 

So linked by being able to look down on stuff nearby,