I Forge Iron

Arm guard for grinding

I was getting a spray of grit and dust across my left arm while grinding today, and had the idea to use a sleeve to protect it. This is just one leg of an old pair of jeans, with a slit for the neck and a safety pin to gather up the cuff. Quite effective!

F3508733-BB89-4641-8922-9DFEC72AD0E3.jpeg

When I worked as a hydraulic mechanic I used an old pair of tights my then girlfriend "donated". Ideal for light grinding work and tacking, when you don't need them you can just pull them dawn and they "store"around you wrist. Pretty nice when it is way to warm to wear leather or a thick welding jacket. Don't expect them to last longer then a month.

We used to wear heat resistant sleeves when working on the mills at the rubber refinery.  I dont know how well they'd work while grinding. They looked like very thick socks with the feet missing. They worked well for the heat but I don't know how well they'd work against flying metal bits and bristles. 

Pnut

I used to have welder's sleeves but someone else needed them more. I've been thinking about making something I can connect the shop vac to and draw the dust and cuttings down so they don't get on me so much. The trick is NOT sucking sparks into the vac itself. Isolating wood dust from sparks is also a positive. 

I just wear long sleeves but it doesn't get all that hot here. Though a sunny day can turn the shop into an oven even with the doors open. The yard sale window fan is a big help. 

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, pnut said:

We used to wear heat resistant sleeves when working on the mills at the rubber refinery.  I dont know how well they'd work while grinding. They looked like very thick socks with the feet missing. They worked well for the heat but I don't know how well they'd work against flying metal bits and bristles. 

Pnut

I've got some kevlar sleeves that fit that description. I use them on occasion, but the knit fabric tends to hold onto grinder grit. Also they don't stretch enough to fit over the forearm braces I wear to keep my tennis elbow from coming back.