I Forge Iron

Brick side draft chimney plans?

I'm in the process of rearranging my smithy layout to be better ergonomically situated with anvil, forge, and equipment.  I'm wanting to move my coal forge to the center of the smithy, it's a drop shed closed on one side with a tin roof.  I'm wanting to build a brick forge and chimney, one purpose of the brick chimney will be to replace one of the roof support 4x4's.

I've been looking for plans, but so far have come up empty.  I need inside dimensions, or what measurements does the inside of a brick side draft need to be?  I'm planning on extending the brick through the roof, and then transitioning to a stainless steel stove pipe to get the chimney above the peak of my shop roof.

Thanks

There is a great thread about building a brick forge in Blueprints, unfortunately all the pictures have been lost after a forum update. As far as I know the Admin is trying to sort the glitch out. As far as the inside dimensions of the flue, 10 inches is about the smallest for a good draft.

Thanks.  I'll look in Blueprints and see if I can find it.  I've been looking online and through Youtube, the one decent vid I found referenced using a 12"x12" flue liner, so I was thinking of going with that.  Also mentioned a shelf to help make it draw better?

Main thing is I don't want to spend all that effort and then have to tear it down and re do it.

You might have to go to some of the older books to find plans. I don't know about incorporating a brick chimney into the structural support of the shop though if it isn't a wall. 

I'm not a mason so my opinion is for what it's worth.

Frosty The Lucky.

This Sauder guy has an interesting plan for incorporating regular .50cent bricks with a fireclay ($9 for 50 lb bag special ordered at building supply) mortar.  Then stacking mixed fireclay balls around a wood form to form chimney that will withstand 3000degree heat.  Regular mortar cracks under high heat but fireclay melts to ceramic.  This plan idea could be incorporated into a coal chimney design.  https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.icompendium.com/sites/eliz2406/sup/3696366-furnace-construction.pdf

This "Sauder guy," :rolleyes: wasn't building a chimney he was building a bloomery. If your forge chimney got hot enough to fuse fire clay it'll be a stand alone piece of architecture, you'll need to build a new shop AFTER cleaning up the ashes and bits of metal from the old one. 

There's NO mystery about how to lay up a masonry fire place or chimney. Trying to adapt Dr. Sauder's experimental archeology to something other than what it is would be like reading an article about Louis Pasteur and deciding to develop a vaccine rather than just getting a shot. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, I've ben scouring the internet and think I've got the basic dimensions figured out.  As for the support, it'll take the place of a 4x4 post and the roof is just a 2x6 tin covered drop shed.  Could possibly get by without the use of a support there, but I like sturdy.