I Forge Iron

Hollan 125lb Double Horn Anvil- Opinions?

Anyone have the Holland 125lb double horn anvil. I like the looks of this anvil. I have been wanting to upgrade to a double horn. I am one of those weirdos that likes the horn to the right, so this one with the shelf as it is would be great for me. Only concern I have is that I already have a 120lb anvil, which needs to be replaced, and was hoping for a larger anvil. Wish they would make this pattern in the 150-175lb range.

I work alone, but my sons are getting old enough that they could start working as strikers in the next few years. Most of my work is 3/4" and under, except when axe making which is obviously larger stock depending on the axes. Also hoping to buy a hydraulic press soon for doing the majority of the work for axes. 

The other option is maybe to just get their 190lb single horn, but I really was wanting a double horn this time around.

Should I look at something else? I would rather not spend too much over $1000, which is limiting these days.

Thanks,

Greebe

125lb Holland

d0c59b_8296b656910641b4bafcee5f7d4a0235~

Thanks. I wonder as a right hander if that shelf would get in the way. Most righties that use a shelfted anvil have the horn to the left and the shelf to the left rear as well. Seems like the shelf near the horn on the right might be a finger chopper for a right handed smith. Wish they would just make a 140 double and no shelf. Even the 125 and no shelf would probably be fine. I really like the idea of the double horn anvil, but maybe their 140lb singe horn would be fine.

I also like the Hoffman anvil without shelf, but do not like the hardie hole near the horn as a right handed smith using the anvil horn to the right. 

7 hours ago, Greebe said:

Most righties that use a shelfted anvil have the horn to the left

I don't like working on the horn with my hammer hand over the face. I started out with the round horn to the left but soon switched the horn to my hammer side. It's all personal preference but you raise a good point. 

Pnut

Would like to get a new anvil soon. Trying to decide on this 125 double or their 140 single. I really like the idea of the double horn, but am not sure about the shelf. Then I think to myself, if I am going to spend $1000 on a new anvil, maybe I should spend another $275 and get the 190lb single horn. Decisions, decisions.

Any thoughts?