I Forge Iron

New to all this

WindocK

Can't help you on age  but $US 45 for a complete post vise is a good deal.  Put your general location in your profile and we can give you better answers.  What is a good deal in the USA may not be in Bosnia, Sweden, Australia, or South Africa.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

This reply was posted by Frank Turley in 2010 and it pretty much hits the high points. As George said a complete vice, with a good condition screw is a nice deal at $45,

Frank Turley

The Iron City Tool Works of Pittsburgh made leg vises and other tools, and the company was acquired by Warren Tool Corporation of Warren, Ohio, in 1958. For a while, they continued to use the Iron City logo which was IRON CITY stamped inside of a six pointed star. Warren Tool also made blacksmiths' hand tools stamped QUIKWERK.
Reference: "Directory of American Toolmakers" ed. Robert E. Nelson, Early American Industries Association, 1999.

You can seldom make out a Peter Wright stamp because it is in small stamped letters on top of the screw box. It says P. WRIGHT; PATENT; SOLID BOX. It most often gets obliterated with use and rust.

$45 in Canadian dollars or Australian dollars that is still a good deal for an 80# postvise these days.  I'd have to see a close up on the screw thread to really tell how good a deal---I consider 80% of a post vise "worth" is based on the screw/screwbox.  That is why when I recently sold one missing those I put the price on it as 20% what I would have sold a complete one for.  I know a lot of folks in New Mexico who would double your money without blinking an eye.

(The 80 is the weight in pounds as they were often sold that way.)

I enlarged the picture of the screw and to me it looks to be in pristine condition. So I would say $45 U.S. is not a good deal but a genuine steal. Only thing to do is work hot steel with it, ya lucky dog.:) The one in your avatar agrees from the grin on his/her face.