I Forge Iron

Single Burner Capacity?

GrayCat

So let me start by saying I am very green to blacksmithing/bladesmithing so if this subject is an age old question, I apologize, I did try searching. My father and I have both started getting Into the hobby and each are creating our own workshops in different ways. One thing we both have done is start with a relatively small single burner forge. I opted for a devil forge, he bought a burner and made a coffee can style. So far both work great for our skill level. 

A question that we keep coming back to is if we want to upgrade our forges in the future, what sizes could we/should we go with, with the goal being repurposing the burners we currently have? I understand that forge size is probably specific to the type of work that you are doing, but I’m trying to figure out that sweet spot for a single burner size? 

Good Morning GCat,

Welcome to this world. If you put your location in your avatar, maybe someone close to you, can help you. There is no such thing as a good Forge size, you will find that you will have a few different ones and you will use the one that fits. Kind of like different shoes or boots, they all have their place. I know of a lady who has a 2 brick Forge and makes Damascus Jewelry on her kitchen table, using a small propane bottle for fuel (yes, camp size bottle). Her father has taught her not to look at the limitations, just DO!! Her father uses any size of Forge, which ever one is handy that day. The bottom line, Don't paint yourself into a corner, Just Do It!!

Neil

Thanks for the info Neil, makes total sense as I have so many woodworking tools that all can serve the same purpose, but are all used in their own ways. More just curious if there is a cutoff, like X amount of cubic inches/feet per burner or if you can build any size you want, just requiring more fuel. 

3 hours ago, GrayCat said:

I understand that forge size is probably specific to the type of work that you are doing, but I’m trying to figure out that sweet spot for a single burner size? 

Okay, somebody figured out that a single properly functioning 3/4" naturally aspirated burner could bring 350 cubic inches of interior space in a properly built and insulated forge to welding temperature. It takes two 1/2" burners to match one  3/4" burner. It takes two 3/8" burners to match one  1/2" burner. How well can all these rules of thumb apply? Most burners these days are considerably hotter than they were twenty years back when somebody came up with that rule; that includes the burner you're using.

Good Morning,

The correct answer is "Not One", more than one for sure, but not one!!

Coal/Coke/Charcoal/Wood are all different solid fuels for Forges. Cow/Ox dung has been used for centuries. Recently Gas Forges, Propane, Map Gas, Natural Gas. Recycled Cooking Oil, Diesel, Kerosene, Animal fat also make VERY HOT Forges. If all else fails, grab a Tiger Torch or a Oxy/Propane Rosebud. They all can be used in a Forge or as a Forge. Why restrict yourself? I also have an Electric Forge, an Induction Forge. The restriction of what is a Forge, is coralled between your ears, not someone else's ears. A Forge should be large enough to heat what you are working on, without too much wasted room. There is no such thing as 'A Forge must be this shape'. There is no restriction on burner location, number of burners (less is more), shape of the firebox or Tuyere, naturally aspirated or blown with a hand blower, electric fan, hair dryer, compressed air, whatever..... There is no such thing as too many, too big, too small (compared to what? for what application?)

I know, you are asking a simple question "What is the ideal size Forge to start with?". The answer is, "The one you have, that heats up the piece you are working on, SAFELY!!" Wear Cotton clothing, NOT SYNTHETIC fibres (which melt with excess heat and continue to burn you). Wear Ear and Eye protection (you don't get a second chance). I prefer to not wear gloves when forging at the Anvil, but I do when I am working with the Power Hammer. If you wear flip flops on your feet, you will learn the hard way!! Gas Forges make carbon monoxide, the silent killer!!! ALWAYS work in a well ventilated area. Think Safe, Work Safe, Bee Safe!! SMILE!! LAUGH!! Bee Kool!!! If you don't build the Box, You don't have to think outside of it!!

Be Safe, Enjoy the Journey, there is no Destination, except at the end of our road!

Neil

It depends on the BURNER.  If you have a micro burner it will heat a different cubic than if you have a 2" burner.  It's like "How many people will a gasoline powered vehicle carry?"

Which is why when the discuss a Frosty T burner's abilities they mention the size of the burner being discussed.