I Forge Iron

building an anvil stand

I am building my second anvil stand, first one was out of 2x12's, works fine but want to work on my welding. Material is stuff I found in the shop at work. Legs are schedule 40 2 1/2" pipe and the base is 1/2" piece of plate 12" x 14". I just tacked welded the legs on for now, to get an idea of positioning. It also pointed out the fact that i need to do a better job of positioning the legs before putting them on. Was going to add some cross braces and fill the pipe with sand or something.

The anvil i am going to put on it is a Kanka 110 lb. Have a couple of bigger anvils but wanted to test my build skills on the smaller one. I am going to put silicon between amp and anvil. Next project will be building a stand for a second 5 inch post vice i picked up.

I went through the thread on anvil stand pictures and based it on those and what material i had on hand. I wanted to use 3/4' or 1' plate for the base but 1/2" was all i could find. 

Open to any comments. I was thinking of bring the 2 legs on the left a little bit more to the center. 

Thanks,

Jack

404 files removed

Will do, thanks. 

Hopefully this works this time. They are resized to under 1000 pix each side and are jpg files. I think the issue was that i copied them from my email and then posted them instead of saving the pics to my computer and then posting them, who knows... Probably to big in the first place.

stand-2.jpg

stand-1.jpg

stand-3.jpg

Edited by aslerjack
re posting pics

• 2 weeks later...

I like your idea but being a almost beginner " still making my forge about half way done now" I can't say for sure . But as long as your welds are good and you add cross bars don't see why it wouldn't . I've been trying to figure out what do do in that line myself , I've been kicking around doing something in line like you have done . I've also thought about just cutting a big stump to mount it on , I have seen a few like that. To be honest I didn't even think of the 2x10 idea that would work too. Decisions decisions lol . I kind of like your idea best because it would be easier to move than a heavy stump and I have lots of scrap metal I could use and what I don't I can get at a place near by that sells it's drops . How will you mount your anvil so it won't slide ? I was thinking on mine I would make a angle frame for it to sit in maybe like 1x1 angle welded to the stand top . What are your thoughts sir ? 

I picked up my 3 legged steel stand in an "Iron in the Hat".  I use it for a travel anvil stand as it is lighter and easier to pack and doesn't have wobble problems on concrete or asphalt.  Since mine is used for travelling I designed it to make it easy to load and unload the anvil:  I put a couple of spaced apart 2"x6" scraps on a workbench and placed the anvil on them and traced the side curves onto the wood. Then cut the wood to shape and lagged it to the metal slab that's the top of the stand.  Lags going through holes I drilled in the stand from the bottom so they don't show on the top.  A little rasping to smooth the upper edge and I can lift and drop in the anvil with no problems.  I do have to replace the wood blocks every 5 years as so as they get banged up from using other anvils in the space designed for one specific one.

I drilled some holes in the  base plate so i can mount the anvil with some brackets after putting some silcone down. I am going to go the stump route on my 175# anvil.

Just waiting for the weather to break a little bit to finish welding the legs, should be back in the 20's on Sunday.

Jack

61 degF Saturday and 69 degF next Wednesday.  Scrapyard and forging this weekend! 

What is preferable depends on YOUR skills, tools, materials and needs.  If you need to remove the anvil and travel with it on a regular basis then gunking it down is not a good idea, a clamp and a built up weld bead on the stand may be what you need.  Silicone caulk is fast and can be removed if necessary.  And many of us have seen anvils welded to a stand---usually to terribly designed ones!