I Forge Iron

Sources for 1060 Square bar?

Hello there. I have done a lot of searching for 1060 square bar to make some axes from, but have had no luck finding any. Not sure if it is even available in square anymore. I can find 1045 square, but was hoping to try hand forging some 1060. So if anyone knows where I could buy this I would appreciate the help. If not I will just go for 1045 I guess or A-36 and weld in a steel bit, but would like to use 1060 if I could.

Many thanks!

The curved spring "anchors" that are sometimes placed on either side of a railroad tie are reputed to be somewhere close to 1060. I'm not suggesting you go get any off a track as railroads trend to frown on that, but if you can find any strays off the right of way they will suit your purpose. I've made a few knives and tomahawks from them and oil quenched and baked at 425 deg F for a little over an hour produces something that holds an edge fairly well. Just keep in mind I'm not a professional. I've given away every knife or tomahawk made that way and I haven't had any complaints. This advice is free as well and I assure you it is worth every penny of it.

I did a Google search for rail anchor specifications and/or  rail anchor steel . 

Apparently the material is 60Si2MnA

I have forged a few punches and cold chisels from rail anchors. After quenching and tempering to a light straw color they cut mild steel like a hot knife through butter. 

8 hours ago, dickb said:

Apparently the material is 60Si2MnA

ALL of them or is this the spec from one manufacturer? 

I can make the hour drive into Anchorage and buy 3' of 1060 or 1070 at Metalsupermarket for about $25 IIRC. They had a pretty good selection on the racks and they cut to length for reasonable.

Price and shipping for metals the local outlet doesn't carry come to a wash if you don't mind waiting.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the replies, but I Would rather just purchase the steel and not steal the steel! :D

Thinking that I will have to either go with 1045 or mild steel and weld in a bit of Aldo's 1084 I have on hand. Might just order some 1045 and A-36 to have on hand. Seems like not only have prices skyrocketed in the past few months, but it is getting hard to find stuff with the world going bonkers.

I am using some old leaf springs to make wrapped eye axes out of right now. I believe they are 5160, a little tricky to weld but once i got the technique down they are coming along nicely. 

You could also try a local machine shop, they may let you piggy back on one of there orders. Or they may have a piece on hand they would be willing to sell you. I work in a machine shop and we have on hand in the tool room 4140, S-7, H-13, O-1, A-2, etc. I am sure if i look hard enough i would find 1060. We do a lot of in house repairs so we do have a variety.