I Forge Iron

Dual IFB ribbon burner gas forge with retractable rear wall

Lateralus

Frosty, thanks for the explanation. Your forge looks very usable for putting in different shapes and sizes of stock and workpieces. 

At this point I'm not so sure what to do with the inner lining. I have the following concerns:

1. What will re-radiate heat better, an IFB surface, a INTOVAL T 85 SP 10 REPA surface or a Plistex surface? So this has to do with the thermal conductivity and the specific heat capacity of the material. I suppose the IFB will be the worst.

2. Will the IFB surface hold up to abuse from putting stuff in the forge and damaging the walls, specifically the burner holes which are vulnerable. Will a refractory wall be better, and can I make a wall with burner holes in it, without getting shrinkage and rupture problems?

Mikey98118, The brick is in the attachments PDF. I have the TAI-28. Do they match the brick you are talking about?

I also uploaded a little movie about the current status of the forge. Wiring is done, actually pretty much everything is done, I only have to make the hood. It is running beautifully even, I'll make a better video soon when everything is done.

IMG_20210203_145657_DRO.jpg

Data Sheet Insulating Fire Brick.pdf

Edited by Mod30
Remove @name tag

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Frazer said:

Awesome build... Very well thought out. 

I was drawn by the username... Is that a Tool reference perhaps?

Yes it is! Greatest band ever in my opinion ;)

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Beautiful build all round. So, doing flux free fire welds now? I'd sure like a look at the patterns you come up with.

Frosty The Lucky.

So far I did my first canister weld, not flux free without other protection so far. It frightens me a bit. When the oven runs at welding temp and I add some extra gas for the dragons breath, I don't really know how much extra is needed. I should just try it, but to be honest, I don't really believe it will work, I do hope so though. Maybe first a WD40/kerosine weld to get some more confidence? 

I attached the knife with the latest pattern. With the new forge it was real nice to have long even heat for twisting the big bars.

4 hours ago, FlatLiner said:

Very nice build. I'm interested in seeing how your brick burners hold up.

I do have some problems with clogging holes. I don't understand how they become clogged, I had to push a little rod through a few holes. Another problem I had was with the steel square tubes in (front of the burners bricks) heating up too much when first using the forge at full temp for hours, and than ramping down to the smallest flame, in that case, too much heat is getting back and it gets cooled too little by the gas/air mixture, so I had a backfire or something, at least some loud explosions. The forge didn't bother luckily. I might solve it by placing a Peltier module on the steel square tubes. Other than that it's working great.

merovingian-twist-kitchen-knife_0221_LS_angle_insta.jpg

https://www.vanzantenknives.com/ here is some more info on the Merovingian twist.

Thanks guys!

21 hours ago, Deimos said:

:D another Dutchy.

Really nice design on the forge there, where did you get your materials?

Love the knife as well, can't decide if I like the blade or the handle more, both are gorgeous.

Thanks :) > kachelmaterialenshop in Nijkerk for most of the bricks etc, steel at MCB, electronics at TechnischeUnie, stainless steel at RVSPaleis, valves etc at Tameson, air pressure sensor at Huba Control.

The blower can be bought new for 146 euro incl VAT at Warmteservice, it is a 24 VDC Intergas Torin. It's a regular household heating gas combustion fan. Pretty silent, I run it at 13,8 V, more than enough flow and pressure.