I Forge Iron

Metal not reaching temp

Angry Giant 203

Starting out with knife making, I’ve built my own forge taking bits and pieces from guys I’ve been watching and searching in the internet. When it comes to heating my metals, I seem to only be getting the metal to a dull red color not the orange I’m looking for. I’m able to move some metal but not with the ease I’ve seen others have. 

Setup is 40lb LP with a 20psi regulator running through 1/4” fittings into dual black pipe. I’m getting a nice blue flame coming into the forge. On occasion I’ll have some sputtering of the flame or 1 side will be completely out. 

E8E4A1B9-2D62-4389-8AA6-07E3EA7CB5C7.jpeg

3A85371A-0AC6-4D8B-86F7-E1E1B3879639.jpeg

You have no insulation. You need some ceramic wool and a layer of castable refractory or some soft insulating firebrick at least.  There's some pinned posts in the gas forge forum that can tell you everything you need to know. 

Welcome aboard, be safe, and remember it's supposed to be fun. 

Pnut

Welcome to the forum.  If you haven't already done so, please read the Read This First post which you can access through the blue bar at the top of the page.  It will help you get the most out of the forum.

Without being able to see the flames from your burners it's hard to make any real judgments about the burners. 

There are also a number of substandard design issues with the forge.  We typically recommend choosing one proven and effective design from an experienced person and follow it strictly for your first attempt.  Once you have a better understanding of how things work then you are better equipped to make modifications or improvements to a design.

We have extensive threads on forge and burner construction, namely Forges 101 and Burners 101.  They are lengthy, but the answer to just about any question you have regarding those two topics can be found there:

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/46536-burners-101/

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/47439-forges-101/

If you can't find answers to your questions after perusing those threads let us know and we'll try to get you on track.

Welcome aboard :angry: Giant, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be able to hook up with members living within visiting distance.

You've made a common mistake in trying to take what you think are good features from different designs around the internet. Without having a good handle on how forges and burners work and interact you don't know what's good from what's bad. The other fundamental mistake is believing some guy with a youtube video actually  knows what s/he's doing. The only qualifications necessary to post a youtube video are a camera and internet connection. 

I'm not trying to discourage you, I spend a LOT of time helping folks get up and working. I'd prefer you pick ONE proven set of forge plans and FOLLOW them. You'll end up modifying whatever you build but you won't know what changes you want until AFTER you've ben using it a while.

Believe me I know, been there done that. I have a number of perfectly functional propane forges collecting dust because they weren't right in a way I couldn't work around. The best way to build a forge that'll do everything is build several.

Frosty The Lucky.